Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcchampion Posts: 45, Reputation: 5

Aug 23, 2007, 04:36 PM
    How to wire a timer to power on a dvd player
    How would you wire an electric digital timer so that it will power on a dvd player which in turn would auto-play the dvd?

You must somehow by-pass the toggle function of the power button on the dvd player.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Aug 31, 2007, 08:54 AM
    The problem you will run into is the menu on the DVD. I am sure you could get it to power up and start the disc, but it will get to the menu and stay there. 1 point goes to VHS!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcchampion
    How would you wire an electric digital timer so that it will power on a dvd player which in turn would auto-play the dvd?

You must somehow by-pass the toggle function of the power button on the dvd player.
    I know you wanted something simple, but here is something complex.

IR Trans - Technical Information - IRTrans Ethernet

You can find other timer devices that will send IR codes. Some might be X-10 based. You can look around.

Thirty years ago, I needed to do a similar thing. I wanted to "hit" a momentary off button of an audio processor when my audio system turned off from a timer. My interface was an opto FET and an current regulator in the processor. This allowed a pulse from about 5V to 32 V to operate the button. A little electronics design in the timer and it worked fine to this day.

If you only have to hit a button once, there is an X-10 module that will output a dry contact and there are many X-10 sequencers out there.

If you don't want to modify the DVD player, you can modify a universal IR remote or find an IR remote with timer capabilities.

Dec 12, 2008, 05:18 PM

Ended up buying a commercial dvd player with a programmable play sequence.

Dec 12, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Correction... it was not a programmable play sequence, but a programmable power on sequence.

Had to search long and hard for it, but they are out there and it worked great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to wire a mechanical pool timer [ 5 Answers ]

I have a T104R mechanical pool timer. The wires coming from the circuit breaker switch are red,black& white. Where do each of these wires go? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Dish network hookups to DVD HDD, TV, and DVD player [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Dish Network 301 Satellite box I want to hookup a Pioneer DVD-640H HDD, so I can record from my dish channels to my DVD and/or HDD, I have an older Panasonic TV that has connections: ANT 1, ANT 2, audio (re-white RCA type) and also S-Video input and RCA a/v (yellow-red-white) input. ...

About DVD player [ 1 Answers ]

What is Karaoke function function in DVD player?

How to wire 4 outlets to 1 INTERMATIC T101 SPST timer [ 1 Answers ]

I am new "Electrican". I did follow the instruction to out 1 set of 4 wires together in 1 INTERMATIC T101 40AMP 2 HP 120V timer, but the timer does not work. While all 4 swtiches for 4 set of lighting work fine. So single pole Times only can handles 1 wire of lighting, or whatever you can put...

View more questions Search