Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kahend703 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 07:49 PM
    CVS violation of prescription privacy
    [F]
    My 20 year old daughter had her prescription records looked up by her boyfriend's ex.
    The ex-girlfriend works in the CVS Corporate Office in Rhode Island. Her job entitles her to access all prescription records. She looked up my daughter's records and told her boyfriend that she has genital herpes. My daughter had gotten a prescription filled for a cold sore on her mouth and the ex concluded something much worse. I know this is a violation of her privacy and am extremely upset. I called the CVS Corporate Office and was told to put this in writing attn: Donna Dubois, the person in charge of privacy problems. We sent the letter, certified mail to Donna Dubois, waited one month with no response. I called to talk with Ms. Dubois and she stated she had not seen the letter and knew nothing about it. I sent it certified mail to her and it was signed for but she said anybody in the mail room can sign for it. :( I proceeded to tell her the story, which see didn't seem too interested in listening to, and she told me she would find the letter and do an investigation and then call my daughter by the first of the week. That was two weeks ago and still haven't heard a word. What should we do now? I am not going to use CVS as my pharmacy anymore but I am concerned that she has my daughter's information at her disposal and can make her own medical conclusions. Should we pursue this legally?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Yes, Since they appear not to be properly investigating or doing anything about the employee. OF course the one issue will be to prove she looked these records up. And of course your daughter needs to be calling and writing. They can't discuss the case with a 20 year old girls mother any more than they should be looking up her records for personal use.
    So why are you calling, and not your daughter? And is the boyfiend willing to make a legal statement that he was told this?
    Kahend703 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, Since they appear not to be properly investigating or doing anything about the employee. OF course the one issue will be to prove she looked these records up. And of course your daughter needs to be calling and writing. They can't discuss the case with a 20 year old girls mother any more than they should be looking up her records for personal use.
    So why are you calling, and not your daughter? And is the boyfiend willing to make a legal statement that he was told this?
    Thanks for your response. I was hoping they could look up computer records to show that she looked up this information, but I am afraid their "investigation" will be to ask the girl if she did it or not and of course she will say no. Ms. Dubois told me she was going to call my daughter to discuss it with her and she has not done so. My daughter is in college and working and my time is much more flexible and that is why I called Ms. Dubois instead of her. Yes, he would make a legal statement that this is what he was told.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ibuprofen (Prescription) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have found out that there is a prescription for ibuprofen. 600 mg for each tablet. Somebody said to me that you can take one pill and sometimes when they are feeling lots of pain they take two. What is the directions for the prescription form of ibuprofen with 600 mg pills. Thank...

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

False name on prescription [ 9 Answers ]

Hi does anyone know what is likely to happen... I stupidly and unsure why but I presented to a local hospital in pain and gave them the wrong name address and dob... I was released from hospital on morphine quite a high dosage... I then went to another doctors practice using the same name and got a...

False name on prescription [ 1 Answers ]

Tankyou both for your response to my posting... You are both obviously from the states and I am from the uk... Does the law differ a lot in the two separate countries?. What is the likelihood of me being prosecuted for this?. I am so worried and this is 11 weeks after the event... As I said before...

Violation of privacy [ 5 Answers ]

My landlord and I have an agreement that he will not walk people through my home. I have found out on two occasions that a realator brought people by but because I was there they could not enter. I will never give permission for someone to walk through my home with my belongings there. I work...

View more questions Search