Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hazelwood1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Credit Card Debt
    Hello,

I have been contacted by a debt collector regarding an unpaid credit card balance. I accrued this debt while living and working in the US (Michigan). I now live in Vancouver, Canada. I am a dual citizen.

I want to dispute the debt. The notice says I have 30 days to respond ("upon your written notification to this office within 30 days from receiving this notice ...").

I have been reading on the internet that some people have been disputing the validity of credit card debt based on the idea that it is based on fraudulent banking practices - something to do with fractional banking - and winning their cases because the banks fail to produce proof of the debt or something like that.

Can anyone suggest a way for me to dispute this debt along these lines? And how would I dispute a US debt from Canada?

Thank you.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 11, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Are you disputing the debt because you feel you don't own the debt, or because you don't want to pay what you owe?
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

Aug 12, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazelwood1
    Hello,

I have been contacted by a debt collector regarding an unpaid credit card balance. I accrued this debt while living and working in the US (Michigan). I now live in Vancouver, Canada. I am a dual citizen.

I want to dispute the debt. The notice says I have 30 days to respond ("upon your written notification to this office within 30 days from receiving this notice ...").

I have been reading on the internet that some people have been disputing the validity of credit card debt based on the idea that it is based on fraudulent banking practices - something to do with fractional banking - and winning their cases because the banks fail to produce proof of the debt or something like that.

Can anyone suggest a way for me to dispute this debt along these lines? And how would I dispute a US debt from Canada?

Thank you.
    You said you owed it why would you dispute?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 04:08 AM
    Dispute the debt in writing, they will have to provide you with copies of the alleged debt showing you are respondible for the alleged debt.

Demand they produce the original contract you signed. No contract, No debt.
    They must have the original contract in their possession.

If you don't dispute it the debt is consider valid and they will sue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt.. Not sure what to do [ 14 Answers ]

I recevied a summons at my place of employment to apprear in court. The two credit cards I owe money to I guess are trying to collect. The plaintiff is Unifund CCR Partners, I am of course the defendant.I have tried about 10 lawyers in the last 2 weeks to contact me with the free advise I need but...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on a credit card bill?

Credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

Can a credit card company put a lien on my home?

Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi---I have six credit card balances going and recently became unemployed. The biggest amount I have is 3,300.00, with other smaller balances on the other five. The biggest one has a credit limit of 9,400.00. I was wondering if it would be good to transfer all of the smaller ones (balances) to...

View more questions Search