Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gnanadragon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Credit card debt
    What is the statute of limitations on a credit card bill?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 12:17 PM
    It will vary by where you live, ( what county, and if in the US what state)

Apr 24, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Cook county Georgia
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Its 4 years from the date of last activity. This is the period in which the creditor has to file suit. The debt itself doesn't expire.

Apr 25, 2007, 05:54 AM
    I have gotten a summons to go to court. I was told I have 30 days to reply or they will get a judgement. How can they do this if this card hasn't been used in 7 years.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 05:57 AM
    File notice of Intend to defend and go that day to court. Tell the court that the SOL has pass and request dismissal based on those facts.

Apr 25, 2007, 06:00 AM
    What is COL?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2007, 06:29 AM
    SOL not COL. Statute of Limitations.

They hope you won't respond and they can get a default judgement so they can go after your assets. So you do a Yet said. You file a Notice to Defend. If the SOL has truly passed, then the case will be dismissed.

BUT, as I pointed out earlier, the debt itself doesn't expire. They can still dun you for the amount owed, they just can't sue you. You DID borrow the money and you DID promise to pay it back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Ex-bf and his credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make...

Credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi When my ex-boyfriend and I split up we had some credit cards together which we split among us and we agreed to take each others name off the cards we each took. Yeah right!! He had started paying it through credit counselling but one day claimed bankruptcy, because my name was still on the...

Credit Card Debt [ 4 Answers ]

My Mother is 85 and in poor health. She has about $30,000.00 in credit card debt. Due to increased medical bills, perscriptions and her mobil home rent increase she is not able to pay these bills. She has no assets, and her only income is her SS monthly check. Several credit card companies have...

View more questions Search