Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Aug 9, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Kitten and Water Problems
    I have a four month old kitten that is the greatest, except when it comes to meal time. I feed her twice a day and give her fresh water at lest twice a day. But once she finishes eating, she will stick her paw in the water and then pushes her food and water dish all around the kitchen. She spills food and water all over the floor, so I will pick up her dish and put it on the counter, but then I am worried she is not getting enough to drink. I don't think the food is an issue because she is eating IVet kitten food, and she seems to enjoy it (she eats it all). I'm going to buy her a bigger heavier dish this weekend, but I'm concerned why she is doing this. Should I be giving her something other than tap water, or is this some sort of game for her?
    AliMarGoo Posts: 72, Reputation: 13

Aug 9, 2007, 05:38 PM
    I know how frustarating this is!! I had a cat who did this with his water bowl all of the time. I ended up having to velcro his water to a mess mat for cats. This worked very well. It turns out that the only way he liked to drink his water was by sticking his paw in the dish and then licking it off his paw. I don't have an explanation as of why they do this, but he did it for years and was completely healthy. The heavy bowl should help... or try to velcro it like I did. LOL Good luck
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 06:57 PM
    I've got a paw-dipper as well! She will drink out of the fountain, but if I give her still water, it's dip the paw and lick it. I think this is just "one of those things".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten will not drink water and is becoming constipated as a result [ 20 Answers ]

I have an 8 week old male kitten who is frequently constipated. He is on soft food and a veterinary laxative but he will not drink water. The weekends that I have off are the only days that he takes water because I make him take it with a syringe. Before I give it to him this way I try to get him...

Wild Kitten constipated and diahhrea problems [ 3 Answers ]

Husband rescued an abandoned/ wild kitten. Not sure if actually wild but was roaming for at least 6-8 weeks outside looks about 12 weeks old. Very friendly and affectionate. Ate out of dumpster and actually came up to him meowing. Have had her for about a week. Was very constipated. Bought...

New Kitten Problems [ 1 Answers ]

We just got a new kitten who is about eight weeks old and we are having a couple of problems. The first problem is that it (we're not sure if it's a male or female yet) won't use the litter box. We just have one of the open boxes and about an inch and a half of litter in it. I will put the kitten...

Hot Water Cold Water problems [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! In our upstairs bathroom, we have a sink, and a stand up shower. This afternoon, only the hot water would run from the sink faucet, but nothing would come out in the shower. We wondered if the pipes were frozen because of the cold weather. This evening, we tried the tap and showers...

Kitten medical problems. [ 3 Answers ]

12 day old kitten had severe swelling of the upper left arm. The next day the area around the swelling lost all hair and white puss was visible. Most of the puss was removed and the wound was treated with antibiotic sav. Any idea what this could be?

View more questions Search