Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Equine_Fanatic Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Hurts when I put in a tampon and have heavy flow
    Last night I put in a tampon and all was fine. This morning I tried to put one in the and the actually putting it in hurt, the rest didn't. And when I sit, it feels like the tampon is coming out. I also have a really heavy flow. I'm on day three and when I use the bathroom after having a pad in, there is nothing on the pad, but a lot of blood everyhwere else. People have told me that everybody has their period differently, but is that normal for different? If that makes any sense. :P

Thanks in advance.

EF
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 2, 2007, 07:36 AM
    If it feels like it could be coming out, it may not be inserted high enough.

Its true that every period is different though. I wouldn't worry too much.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 07:40 AM
    I have to agree with the answer you have above. The tampon may not be inserted deep enough.

Now, you know that a tampon must be changed every couple to three hours to prevent toxic shock syndrome. Many women believe that they can use a tampon and not change it until they experience leakage. This is incorrect info. Tampons MUST be changed as often, or more often, than pads.

Aug 2, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Okay. Well I put it in about... 9:00 and it's 9:42/ The box says change every 4-8 hours..
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 07:52 AM
    I also agree, you just didn't insert it far enough in. Tampons are tricky at first, until you get the hang of it. There willl be more blood when using the restroom than when you aren't so that doesn't sound strange to me. Also you will notice if you have been sitting for long periods, and then get up, you will feel more discharge than usual.

While I agree to be on the safe side (and leak free side) you should change every 3 hours or so, tampons now are formulated to last as long as 8 hours in the body safely according to the FDA. You don't have to be exactly on the hour... if you have had the same tampon in since you got ready in the morning and its now lunch, you should consider changing it out... does that make sense. It doesn't have to be exact. I typically will put a tampon in when I wake up, again at lunch, and then at dinner, I take it out for the night and switch to pads.

This site might help...
    Hanging Out

Aug 2, 2007, 07:56 AM
    I've been sitting a lot lately... XD
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 07:57 AM
    I edited my comment with a response to your other post, and also changed the link, I put the wrong one in. You may want to re-read.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 08:25 AM
    I have to agree with Al that tampons are SUPPOSEDLY formulated to last 8 hours, but this is not always the case. Toxic shock is again on the rise, much like it was back in the 80s. So it is important to change frequently.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 04:55 PM
    I have really heavy periods. I have to use the biggest tampons and pads that are sold for the first 3 days. At the end of those 3 days - I am sore. I change frequently and it's almost like my stuff is irritated. I just go to the smaller size for a little bit and it's fine.

If it is hurting when you sit - it's not in there properly or high enough, like what was said above.

If it continues to hurt - switch to pads. If you are really heavy - get the overnights. They hold more, so you won't get embarrassed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light period followed by heavy flow of brown blood [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, everyone -- I'm an Ask Me Help Desk novice looking for a few answers and a little reassurance. I just experienced a relatively light period capped by a fairly heavy day-long flow of brown blood with a distinctive odor. I'm in my mid-30s, not pregnant, and I don't have any STDs. Should...

Difference between cash flow and fund flow statements? [ 6 Answers ]

Difference between cash flow and fund flow statements?:)

Hurts when he puts it in, fine during, hurts when he cums in me. [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know what it is. I went for a pap and I had a bacterial infection and I started taking this medication and afterwards, sex just isn't the same. I mean its so painful. Ive been with this guy for more than a year and we never used a condom but I don't think that has anything to do wit my...

Heavy flow [ 5 Answers ]

The last few periods that I've had have been a heavy flow and I was just wondering if this was bad and if I should be concerned about it as I am a young teen. Is it bad that I am losing a lot of blood?:confused:

View more questions Search