Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbertsch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 06:38 AM
    GFCI requirements for basements
    Hello...
    I am about to install a new circuit in my basement to provide receptacles for small appliances such as a TV and a sewing machine. I understand that GFCI protection is required for "unfinished" spaces.

1. Exactly how is "finished" defined for this application? The walls and floor are painted, part of the area is paneled. The ceiling is not finished - it's just the exposed floor joists. There is a workshop, laundry room, furnace room, and some exercise equipment in the basement. Is this considered "finished"?

2. If I need GFCI protection, I need to decide whether to try to protect the circuit with a receptacles or install a GFCI circuit breaker. About how many receptacles can a in-line GFCI receptical protect without getting a lot of phantom interrupts?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Unfinished or not you need GFCI just because of the washer. You need at least two circuits in the basement, one for lighting and one for appliances. You should try to give us the wattage for all of your appliances, you may need a 3rd circuit. The GFCI could be a breaker or it could be a GFCI receptacle at the head of the circuit. The rest of the outlets down stream can then pick up GFCI protection, follow the directions in the GFCI box.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
    GFI protection is required for any outlet in an unfinished space of a basement, except, outlets for stationary appliances, such as washers, dryers, refrigerators, sump pumps, etc do not need GFI protection.

Having the walls painted and no finished ceiling would not constitute a finished basement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI help... [ 1 Answers ]

I know a little about electrical (enough to be dangerous anyway lol). The problem I am having is the GFCI keeps tripping. It is located in the garage and it controls (itself included the GFCI outlet) 6 receptacles. I have nothing plugged into it and I have replaced the GCFI outlet itself. But it...

MD Requirements [ 7 Answers ]

Has anyone here gone to med school with a non-science background? I have a BBA, and am wondering if I can do med school. Just want to hear what you guys think. Thx

Wood Basements [ 1 Answers ]

How do I stop the noise from my well pump where the plastic pipe enters through the wall ? It a vibrating noise

Gfci [ 1 Answers ]

Is there ever a situation where it makes sense to have a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker? Will having a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker cause any damage? I recently bought a house and found the situation noted above.

Basements/ejector pumps/washers [ 11 Answers ]

A twist on a familiar question posted here... I am attempting to move my washer/dryer into my basement. It is rough plumbed for a bath, with a 4 inch waste line dumping into a sewage ejector pit. Can I cut a tee into that 4 inch waste line and route my 2 inch washer drain line into it? I am...

View more questions Search