Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rinacaja Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Downgrade 30A to 20A Circuit for PTAC?
    All,
    I am pretty certain this is no problem but wanted to pressure test this before I do it so Im sure I have not missed anything.

I have an existing 30A Circuit (consisting of two bridged 30A breakers), serving one Large Tandem 230/208V 30A receptacle for an old PTAC Unit.

I am replacing the old PTAC with one that only requires a Small Perpendicular 230/208V 20A receptacle.

My question would be... what are my options?

1) Do I replace the bridged 30A breakers with bridged 20A breakers and replace the Large Tandem 30A receptacle with a Small Perpendicular 20A? If so, will I have any problems keeping the same gauge wire in place?

Or

2) Can I simply change the receptacle to the 20A as the unit I am installing won't / shouldn't surpass the 20A capacity of the receptacle... while leaving the bridged 30A breakers and wiring in place?

Thanks everyone for your time, your responses are hugely appreciated.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 01:42 PM
    You only have option #1 to chose from. The breaker and the outlet must be changed. Leaving the heavier wire is no problem at all.
    rinacaja Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    You only have option #1 to chose from. The breaker and the outlet must be changed. Leaving the heavier wire is no problem at all.
    Perfect, that answers that, thanks so much for the quick reply!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15A vs. 20A on #12 Romex [ 10 Answers ]

We are running #12 Romex wire for circuits from the panel. I want some of the breakers in the panel to be 15amp and some to be 20amp. My electrician says that they should all be 20amo because #12 Romex is code for 20 amps. I said sure but it shouldn't matter is we go smaller than code (i.e....

How many double-gang outlets can one put on one 20A circuit? [ 2 Answers ]

Got a 3rd car garage. Installing 4 wall plugs - double-gang. That's 4 plugs per box. Anyway, I'm using 12 ga wire to do the job. Want 20 amps to power tools with. Don't want to 'run out' is what I'm thinking. The 'extra plugs' are for lights to see by, or any thing else that might need power....

Windows 2003 downgrade [ 2 Answers ]

How do I downgrade windows 2003 server to windows 2000 server

Need to upgrade circuit breaker from 20A to 30A [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having a problem with my heat pump unit. I live in a new house, and it worked fine for the first two years I've lived there. Lately, the circuit breaker to the outside unit has started tripping regularly during periods of extended use (i.e. hot in summer, cold in winter). I've had an...

20a on lights? [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to do some wiring on my house using 12/2 wire and had intended to give each room it's own breaker feeding the outlets AND the lights in the room. I had intended to use a 20a breaker, but I am a bit confused about "the code" and lighting. Is it OK to use 20a on light circuits ( I often...

View more questions Search