Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Megarita420 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Car Title with just my name on it, and removing dad's
    Hello- I am lost on what to do! Back in 99 my dad co-signed on a stratus that I was purchasing, so therefore both of our names were put on the title with an "and" in between our names. Well the stratus had been paid for and the title sent from the financing company. Here just a few months ago, I purchased a Honda Accord, and just had the tags from my status transferred over to my honda. With that said, my honda title has both of our names on it still. I live in TN, and need to know what exactly do I do to get the title just in my name? I understand that he would have to sign the back of the title, but their would be no "sale" made when doing this? And also, would I have to pay taxes on something that had no actual money exchanged? I am really confused on what EXACTLY I need to do, and the amount of money that this is going to cost me!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 07:48 AM
    If you want a new title with only your name, he will have to sign the back of the current title, and you take it to the county clerk and they will charge you a fee for a new title ( and about 6 week wait)

You can have him also just sign the back of the current title, and leave it at that, the title will still list his name, but he has already signed it, thus giving you right to sell it

And I guess what are you going to do with the car. You have already taken the tags ( license plate) off it, which means you are not going to drive it. So are you going to leave it sit in your yard, sell it or what.

There should be no taxes do, since you are not selling it, but there will be a small title fee and the such.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Megarita420
    Hello- I am lost on what to do! Back in 99 my dad co-signed on a stratus that I was purchasing, so therefore both of our names were put on the title with an "and" in between our names. Well the stratus had been paid for and the title sent from the financing company. Here just a few months ago, I purchased a Honda Accord, and just had the tags from my status transfered over to my honda. With that said, my honda title has both of our names on it still. I live in TN, and need to know what exactly do i do to get the title just in my name? I understand that he would have to sign the back of the title, but their would be no "sale" made when doing this? And also, would I have to pay taxes on something that had no actual money exchanged?! I am really confused on what EXACTLY I need to do, and the amount of money that this is going to cost me!
    This might draw more advise on a legal thread...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Removing Someone from Title [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased my home in 7/03 and added my domestic partner to the title on 11/05. I am the only one on the mortgage and at this time and the only one working and paying the bills. We are in the mix of a separation and she is threatened to take half of my house away. Do I have to sell and give her...

Removing ex-husband's name from car title - no loan involved [ 1 Answers ]

My vechicle is in my name and my ex-husband's name. There is no loan involved but we must get the vehicle in my name only for the obvious reasons but also so that we can separate our insurance policies. What is the best way to do this without hiring an attorney and paying sales taxes? Is there...

A car title not received... [ 4 Answers ]

Almost exactly one year ago I purchased a car from a friend. I live on Maui, and my friend was leaving the island to move to Colorado. I wrote out a check for the total amount ($4500) and he gave me the keys, but no title. He told me the title was held by the bank and as soon as he paid off the...

How to get your name off a car title? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hi.. I have a question... my cousin has been driving me nuts about this.. When she was w/her boyfriend she co-signed for his car.. he had real bad credit and still does.. now they broke up and cannot get his own loan but does not want to give the car back to her so someone else can...

View more questions Search