Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crooshl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Removing Someone from Title
    I purchased my home in 7/03 and added my domestic partner to the title on 11/05. I am the only one on the mortgage and at this time and the only one working and paying the bills. We are in the mix of a separation and she is threatened to take half of my house away. Do I have to sell and give her half, buy her out, or is there any way that I can have her removed from the title proving that throughout the years, I have been the one paying more than 50% of the bills? Also, if she is currently not working and paying the bills, can I ask her to leave although she is on the title. She is refusing to leave, but is not helping financially.

Please help! I'm desperate and have a 2-year old daughter in the middle of this.:(
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 12:39 PM
    I don't think you can ask her to leave, cause she's an owner. Likewise, she can't ask you to leave. You will probably have to sell the house and divide the proceeds, but you should talk to an attorney regarding your options for arguing for more than 50% of the value.

On the bright side, if you had been married, she would probably be going after you for alimony as well.

It's obvious to you now, but clearly putting someone else as a co-owner on the title was a big mistake given that the purchase wasn't funded 50/50!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Hello crooshl:

You're both owners. Who pay's the bills is not relevant. You need to see a family lawyer to get her out, and get ready to make a cash payment to her to get her name off the title.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Deed Sale Title Question... Marketable title? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I was wondering if anybody was familiar with titles from tax deed sales. I am a beginner to the topic, but just was looking for some advice from some of you real-estate savvy experts out there. My question is about the title of a deed bought from a tax sale... How do you find out...

Can I get a title if the seller doesn't send me the title but I have the bill of sales [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a used car from a private seller. She just paid off the loan and the lienhold is going to send her the title. She said she is going to sign on the title and send it back to me for the transfer of the ownership. I already got the car. As she is in England right now and I'm in...

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

Quiet Title A marketable title? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother and father have passed away and we, the heirs, are trying to sell the property to settle the estate. My father paid cash for this house 18 years ago and evidently obtained a quit claim to the property. The research to the property is moving at a snail's pace as there have been several...

Removing ex-husband's name from car title - no loan involved [ 1 Answers ]

My vechicle is in my name and my ex-husband's name. There is no loan involved but we must get the vehicle in my name only for the obvious reasons but also so that we can separate our insurance policies. What is the best way to do this without hiring an attorney and paying sales taxes? Is there...

View more questions Search