Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christabird Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Crate training issues
    Hello,

I'm the owner of a four month old italian greyhound. We've had him almost three weeks and his housebreaking is coming along fairly well - accidents in the house are becoming infrequent - however he is still consistently messing in his crate!

We generally stay up until midnight and I try to get the pooch to do his #2 outside before bed, but he won't always go when he needs to go... which results in him holding it until he goes in his crate, and generally after he goes in his crate he gets it EVERYWHERE. It's becoming really unpleasant cleaning up after him, and it's hard to understand why he feels it to be necessary to spread his poo literally all over his surroundings until one of us gets up in the morning to clean him and his crate.

Is there anything we can do to try to curb this behavior? It is my understanding that dogs will naturally try to not mess in their crate, however our dog seems to care very little.

One suggestion I know I've heard is to get up earlier in the night, because the little guy can't really hold it all night yet. I understand this and I'm willing to try, but it still doesn't help me try to get him to go when he should go. What times should I feed him at to get "during the day" bowel movements?

Thanks,

Greyhound Troubles
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Yes dogs will instinctively not foul their quarters. I think problems like yours come from a couple of things. Some breeders force dogs to live in their own filth. Maybe the wood shaving the pet stores use would reduce the mess until he catches on to waiting until he is allowed out. I think the other cause is the stress of being shut up by its self. You could try giving him a Kong filled with peanut butter. Some people have had good luck with medication from the vet.

At that age he should still be getting 2 meals a day through 6 months. Try the first thing in the morning and late afternoon. Once I cut back to one meal, I feed in the morning, hoping I won't have problems if I take the dog some place in the evening. If the early afternoon doesn't help, try just before bed time. Confined in the crate over night, his body may not process the food in time for a bowel movement before morning. When you do take him out, make sure he walks around. I have learned to never make a short trip to the grass, and then go in somewhere. Although I always carry clean up materials, I prefer to use them in the grass at the far side of the parking lot rather than in the store.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crate Training [ 2 Answers ]

My dog Gizmo is 2 months old and we have had her for about a week. She is crated at night and she has consistently pooped her crate. Multiple times at night. We have used the gate to separate so she has a small space. She sits on her excrement. She is crated next to our other dog so she is not...

Crate training [ 2 Answers ]

My german shepherd can not seem to get the hint about crate training. She knows that outside is where she is supposed to do her business because at times she will go sit by the door to go out. She is 4 months old and soils her crate almost religiously... she will even sit and lay in her own...

Crate training? [ 1 Answers ]

Is crate training a good idea? Do I leave food and with the dog?

Crate training [ 6 Answers ]

My fiance' and I just got a mini-dachshund last Saturday. She is 13 weeks old and very tiny. She is absolutely adorable! Taking her "potty" has been pretty successful. I'm curious how to properly crate train her. I have read pointers on websites that recommened making her crate as peaceful of a...

Crate training [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my friend has a 5 month-old min-pin, she got him from someone who got exasperated with trying to house-train him because he kept peeing and pooping in his crate. I told her to make sure he uses the bathroom before bed and all that and she has done that but he is still doing it. I thought I'd...

View more questions Search