Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ricknlizwright Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 05:37 PM
    With-holding rent after slip & fall
    This is a question I posted on the plumbing board:

If there is a main sewage pump in an apartment complex not working properly, is it possible for most toilets in a certain building connected to that pump to not flush, and one or more to overflow drastically because of the pressure pushing water from the other units to one or more other units that do overflow?

I got an answer from a senior member saying that it was absolutely possible. We've obtained an attorney, as my husband was injured badly when this happened at our complex... our's was the lucky toilet to catch the excess water pressure and the property owners are not being very accommodating... We are facing eviction because of all of this, because it's cost my husband last week of work, which would've made his check and mine combined enough to pay the rent, only he did not work. We're under direction from our attorney to let the Sherrif post the eviction notice, but to tell him we're not leaving and we have an attorney on the case.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Hello rick:

You do NOT have the legal right to withhold rent... I know you've got an attorney... I had one too. So what? If he was any good I wouldn't be calling myself excon.

You've got two issues. They are NOT related. If your husband slipped, sue 'em. BUT you have to pay your rent or you'll be evicted. If that's OK with you, then get evicted, ruin your credit and move. Maybe down the road you'll win your slip and fall suit.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment Complex Main Pump [ 1 Answers ]

:(

Apartment complex behind on water payment [ 3 Answers ]

I've been living in this apartment complex for several years without issues with payment of the water until this month. Sewer and water are included in the rent. We got a disconnect notice that water service had not been paid. What recourse do I have on the management of the apartment complex?

Apartment complex problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been living in my apartments for about a year and up until last week things have been fine. I wrote my rent check and gave it to the apartment on the 1st, after viewing my bank statement a couple of days later I noticed I had wrote the checkf or $20 under the needed amount, I...

Apartment problems [ 1 Answers ]

I found a nice 2 bedroom 1bath room apartment on March 2006. I spent a lot of money, time and energy to furnish the whole apartment to make it a comfortable place to live. To reduce the cost, I found her-my roommate online to share the apartment with me .During the interview, I told her I don’t...

Sneaky Apartment Complex Woes [ 4 Answers ]

During the heat wave this summer, my air conditioner gave out. Not only gave out, constantly froze over. My apartment complex, whose responsibilities include the AC unit, heater, and other basic utilities and their upkeep, fixed the problem _temporarily_. They stated that they had arrived at...

View more questions Search