Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Josie1420 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
    The PILL (Protection or not)
    How long until you are protected from Pregnancy when taking the pill? I was on the pill for about a year but then my fiancé went away to work. I stopped taking the pill for four months while he was gone away but he is going to be home soon. I am estimating that I will be on the pill for 5-6 days before he gets home. Is this long enough so we don't have to use protection? I was on the pill 4 days before with him and then didn't use protection after and didn't get pregnant.

Shouldn't Tri-Cyclen or any other conception be like all other pills in that it is in your system in three to four days.

Please answer my question.

J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Understand that the pill is not 100% effective. Trust me, I have 2 sons and I took the pill perfectly and conceived both times.

Now, while some will tell you that you are okay after a week, it is best to use protection for the first month you are back on the pill.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jul 10, 2007, 07:57 AM
    My doctor has always told me that it takes a month for the pill to get into your system and be effective. Of course, I was on the pill when I got pregnant. Therefore the pill is not 100% effective.
    Also remember any type of antibiotics will make the pill ineffective.
    If you really don't want to get pregnant use the pill and another form of birth control, such as condoms.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 10, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Yes yes yes... Some medicines, particularly antibiotics will lessen the effect of the birth control pill.
    twiggies Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jul 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
    I was told that it takes a week for it to be effective. I went on Ortho Tricycline Lo about 2 weeks before I got married... but my best friend who got married the same day (we were both virgins) started taking it a week before the wedding. I'd call planned parenthood. They'd know for sure. I still managed to get pregnant only 5 months into marriage while on the pill... taking it perfectly every day, so just be careful if having a child is out of the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Protection reliability with pill and condom [ 1 Answers ]

I know this gets asked probably all the time but I just wanted a straight answer. What are the chances of getting pregnant while using a condom and taking birth control pills regularly and only having sex once during that month's span.

My mom has proplems with takeing pill like pain pill and stuff [ 6 Answers ]

I found this pill it is pink oval pill on one side it has a S on it the other side as numbers 8667 with a spilt line to.I would ask her but I don't want me not trusting her driving her back to them.I will trow the pill a way onces I find what it is so please help let me know if is is some kind of...

What pill is this? Yellow Oval Pill [ 2 Answers ]

The pill is a yellow and oval on one side it has 650 on the other side it is either O M or W O, What is this pill used for.

Protection [ 4 Answers ]

Can I protect folders?

Protection of outsourcing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I have a question - how one's money paid for web-site development in another country can be protected (except ensurance)? :confused:

View more questions Search