Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xo_b3b3_ox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Depressed Dog
    I've had my puppy ever since she was 4 months old. Now she is almost about to turn
    7 months. Before she used to be happy and playful and was always energetic, but now
    All she does is sit around or sleep and she always sighs. She still does eat and play
    Sometimes but she seems really upset and like I said before she always sighs. And now
    She seems to be growling and barking a lot more, before she wouldn't speak when we
    Told her to, and now she just barks whenever she wants something or if she sees someone
    New. Any ideas as to why she would be acting this way?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Has another animal in your household died recently or is there someone that isn't around anymore? That would be a reason for depression in a dog. Is she being walked and exercised regularly or has her schedule been changed? Regarding the barking, I wouldn't worry about that. She is just doing what she views as her job, warning everyone someone new is around. She has also learned that if she barks at something she wants, it will be given to her, so she will keep on barking. You may want to think about discouraging the barking if it bothers you by not giving her whatever item she is targeting her attention on. The sighing usually happens from boredom or not enough exercise. If you and your family were showering her with attention and now she isn't getting the constant unending attention, she will seem depressed and sigh. Have you taken her to training classes and socialized her with other dogs? That would be helpful if you haven't already done so. She is still a puppy and young dogs needs constant exercise and to be challenged. Training is a good way to challenge her mind. Long walks and games involving retrieving a ball are a good way to exercise her and tire her out. If you are doing all these things and absolutely nothing has changed in the household, I would suggest a visit to the vet's office as a precaution to make sure she isn't ill. She is still a puppy and susceptible to certain viruses.

Jul 8, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Princess is the first dog we've ever had and its always just been me,
    My mom, my dad, my sister, and her. They are always around. She
    Hasn't been getting that much exercise lately because ever since we
    Took her on a family vacation she's been scared to leave the house to
    Go for walks, but before the trip she used to love being outside. I've
    Tried taking her for more walks lately and every time we get outside she
    Would just whine and sit and wouldn't walk. I don't know what to do,
    My parents think that she's fine and think that she's just bored but she
    Looks upset and kind of lost interest in everything. I'll see if I can take
    Her to the vet during this week. Thank you for your help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Has she been spayed? If not, flaky behavior is one of the first signs of her season starting. Almost any behavior can be expected. Mostly they
    Demand attention, show more interest is sniffing around anywhere a male
    Marked, and can become very determined and creative about getting loose to
    Find male companionship. Once loose, an accidental breeding isn't the worse thing that can happen.

The vulva will swell and soon start a bloody discharge. They become fertile in about a week later. You can't leave them outside by themselves. A 6 foot fence or a enclosed kennel may not be enough. If bred, in addition to unneeded puppies, they can be infected.

So take her to the vet. If she has been spayed, she could be sick. If not, discuss spaying.

The barking could also be do to her maturing and thinking that as a big girl now, she needs to be doing more to protect the pack. A good obedience class, as RubyPitbull suggested, would be an excellent idea. I am quite pleased to come back after the weekend and see all her answers. Those needing help with their dogs were well served by it.

Jul 9, 2007, 06:40 AM
    No she hasn't been spayed yet, but my parents think its okay
    Just to leave her because we don't let her around any other
    Dogs that are boys and she is always on a leash, but if it gets
    Worse we are considering it. She was feeling a lot better
    Yesterday for some reason, she just started being energetic
    Again, and then after a while she can look upset again. But
    Thank you for the response!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm becoming depressed again. [ 4 Answers ]

I used to be depressed, I was depressed for about a year, until in church while worshipping, I smiled again... and suddenly my happiness was returned to me. But now, its feels like it was all for nothing, its enclosing in on me again, the feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness and self loathing...

I'm so depressed [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been going out for 8 months. Going out with her have been the best days of my life, and I would do anything to have them back. After 7 months she started to act different, so one night I called her and told her why I am so sad and I got to the question if she even loves me...

Depressed dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old zu (meka) who is usually a happy and playful dog. Yesterday I brought home a new puppy meka has become very upset and depressed about this I knew this would happen but not to this degree she has made herself sick she is vomiting shaking and won't come near the new pup. She is...

Depressed? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm think I'm depressed but I don't want to take medication or talk to anyone (shrink) I also cut myself from time to time, does anyone know of an alternative to help with depression , I was also diagnosed with having an underactive thyroid hormone a few months ago could this low hormone be causing...

Depressed dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my dog for about 2 years, he is a labrador crossed with a staff, and is usually a happy dog. Recently my little bro bought a kitten, since the kitten has been in the house, the dog seems sort of depressed. I know it sounds stupid, but when I look at his, he just looks really sad. I've...

View more questions Search