Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alanalov Posts: 88, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2007, 09:07 PM
    LONG hair problems. How to?
    Hi, just wondering... what could I do to keep my hair long. When my hair gets longer (past 35-40 cm) I notice more hair loss.
    Is there a way to prevent this? I don't have hair loss problems when my hair is shoulder-length. Only when it's longer. I want to keep it long but it's seems that its not so strong. What could I do? Thank you guys
    flynnschmidt Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Jul 6, 2007, 10:33 PM
    Was having same problem, switched shampoos and conditioners until I found one that resolved the problem. By the way never use the 2 in 1 formulas. Wash with desired heated water but cook water for the conditioner.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 11:45 PM
    Trim regularly, don't dry it out with hair dryers, curling irons, etc. and keep it moisturized. I brush mine over 100 strokes a day (never when it's wet), and, this might sound crazy, but I stand on my head at least once a week to keep good circulation at the roots. I rarely use a conditioner. I brush my hair before washing and when it's dry.

Good luck!

Didi
    flynnschmidt Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Jul 7, 2007, 12:03 AM
    Without conditioner I end up with very coarse hair. My is hip length and I find it need extra tlc to look and feel nice.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jul 7, 2007, 07:23 AM
    The body is always renewing itself, old hair falls out and is replaced by new hair. A person sheds up to 100-250 strands of hair throughout the day, which is normal. Don't be worried if you see hair on your pillow or in the shower, this doesn't mean that your going bald or losing your hair. Your hair is replaced on a regular basis. But if you see your hair falling out in clumps, it is not normal. This can occur from birth control pills, iron deficiency, insufficient protein, diet, stress, ringworm and chemicals in hair care products. If you're hair is falling out in clumps, consult a doctor as soon as possible.

If you have thinning hair, use soft-bristle brushes or wide-tooth combs. Try not to tie your hair in tight ponytails, it causes hair breakage or hair loss. Blow-drying your hair can also make the hair thinner. If possible, try to air dry your hair. For thin hair, look for a shampoo and conditioner that adds body to your hair.

Jul 7, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLady
    The body is always renewing itself, old hair falls out and is replaced by new hair. A person sheds up to 100-250 strands of hair throughout the day, which is normal. Don't be worried if you see hair on your pillow or in the shower, this doesn't mean that your going bald or losing your hair. Your hair is replaced on a regular basis. But if you see your hair falling out in clumps, it is not normal. This can occur from birth control pills, iron deficiency, insufficient protein, diet, stress, ringworm and chemicals in hair care products. If you're hair is falling out in clumps, consult a doctor as soon as possible.

If you have thinning hair, use soft-bristle brushes or wide-tooth combs. Try not to tie your hair in tight ponytails, it causes hair breakage or hair loss. Blow-drying your hair can also make the hair thinner. If possible, try to air dry your hair. For thin hair, look for a shampoo and conditioner that adds body to your hair.
    No, I don't have such problems. I just feel like my hair is less strong when it's longer and I want to keep it long & strong.

Jul 7, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnschmidt
    was having same problem, switched shampoos and conditioners until I found one that resolved the problem. by the way never use the 2 in 1 formulas. wash with desired heated water but cook water for the conditioner.
    If u don't mind me asking, what was that one that solved the problem?
    Thanks

Jul 7, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    Trim regularly, don't dry it out with hair dryers, curling irons, etc. and keep it moisturized. I brush mine over 100 strokes a day (never when it's wet), and, this might sound crazy, but I stand on my head at least once a week to keep good circulation at the roots. I rarely use a conditioner. I brush my hair before washing and when it's dry.

Good luck!

Didi
    Haha, funny but it might make sense. Thanks didi :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Oh, just wanted to add... my hair is below my waist. I sit on it when I am sitting down now. It will thin at the ends if you don't keep it trimmed up and in good condition, but don't forget, if you stuck a head in the middle of all that end stuff it would probably appear just as full as the top.

Hugs, Didi
    -

Jul 7, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alanalov
    no, i don't have such problems. i just feel like my hair is less strong when it's longer and I want to keep it long & strong.

You've stated in your first post that you've noticed hair loss, and you wanted to know how to prevent it. I've given you some really good information on what causes thinning hair and how to prevent it from happening. But now you're saying that hair is less strong and want it long & strong. As for my previous answer, I'm sure others will benefit from it.

Standing on your head or brushing your hair 100 times a day will not make your hair grow longer or thicker. It's not good to brush your hair excessively. Too much hair brushing can lead to split ends or breakage. You should only brush when you need to style your hair or remove tangles. If you want longer stronger hair, eat a protein-rich diet to help improve hair growth. There are some hair products that will make your hair look shiny and stronger. Look for shampoos like Pantene Pro-V or Garnier Fructis. These will make hair appear stronger and healthier. Good luck.

Jul 7, 2007, 10:39 AM
    You've stated in your first post that you've noticed hair loss, and you wanted to know how to prevent it. I've given you some really good information on what causes thinning hair and how to prevent it from happening. But now you're saying that hair is less strong and want it long & strong. As for my previous answer, I'm sure others will benefit from it.

Standing on your head or brushing your hair 100 times a day will not make your hair grow longer or thicker. It's not good to brush your hair excessively. Too much hair brushing can lead to split ends or breakage. You should only brush when you need to style your hair or remove tangles. If you want longer stronger hair, eat a protein-rich diet to help improve hair growth. There are some hair products that will make your hair look shiny and stronger. Look for shampoos like Pantene Pro-V or Garnier Fructis. These will make hair appear stronger and healthier. Good luck.
    Thank you. Yes, I meant all that I said. I only wanted to emphasize that I only have this problem when my hair is longer (let's say 5 inches past shoulders) :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Standing on your head or brushing your hair 100 times a day will not make your hair grow longer or thicker. It's not good to brush your hair excessively. Too much hair brushing can lead to split ends or breakage. You should only brush when you need to style your hair or remove tangles.
    While I agree with suggesting she eats a protein rich diet, etc. I have to disagree with your opinion on hair brushing (and standing on your head... heh heh). My grandmother will be 96 in October. She just had her hair cut short, but has had very long healthy, thick hair all of her life. She is the one who suggested to me to brush my hair 100 strokes (it stimulates the natural oils) and to increase my circulation by standing on my head - and yes, she also stood on her head up until she broke her hip 4 years ago.

All I can say is that it worked for her and it works for me. My hair is very long, very thick, and extremely healthy. I don't have split ends, I rarely use conditioner. I never brush my hair when it's wet, but I do brush thoroughly several times a day - especially when I first get up, before I shower and after being out of doors in the wind. I rarely put it up, tie it back, etc. So, perhaps standing on your head or brushing your hair 100 times a day (I actually meant strokes) works just fine for some people. I have two daughters and it worked for them too, so we must be doing something right! :) I also think regular trimming is imperative.

I will say that my diet has never been the greatest, but I do eat a high protein diet, with lots of fruits and vegetables. Anyhow, I hope the OP will at least consider my ideas. I really don't think they'll hurt you, and they may just help!

Hugs, Didi
    -

Jul 7, 2007, 11:10 PM
    It's just an old myth. You don't need to stroke or brush your hair 100 times a day. Overbrushing can damage the root and the cuticle, and you could end up with hair loss. Brushing your hair a few times a day should be enough to stimulate oil production. I'm done with this thread. I have other members waiting for me to answer their questions.

Jul 29, 2007, 10:12 PM
    Is it OK or not OK to lose about 60 strands of hair when washing my hair?

My hair is long,almost 15 inches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bleaching long hair [ 2 Answers ]

My hair is below my shoulders and is a light brown color. I would like to bleach it blonde. Can someone tell me how. PLease!

Long Hair [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is any 'old' tale saying how to make your hair grow faster. I have shoulder length hair, previously I had it very short and now I want it long, very long..

Dachsund/ long hair [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old female with long hair who appears to be very itchy. She is always scratching with no visible "reason". What should I try to help her? Would it be OK to give her 1/4 tsp. children's Benedryl? She weighs 16 lbs. Yes I know she is chubby. We are working on it.:)

Long Hair Cat [ 6 Answers ]

My cat has very long hair. I try to get her grommed 4 times a year. But I can not afford this being on disability myself. How long will her hair keep growing ? Keeps getting longer & longer & etc.

View more questions Search