Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carleyjune Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Dog still not potty-trained 3 yrs old
    Hello,

I am in desperate need of advise. I have a 3 year old Weimaraner and have trouble with the dog "Chase" urinating in the house.

I brought home Chase, a female on 2/14/04 from a well established breeder. I was taking Chase out to potty in the front yard and back yard for the first few days until we could get her into our Vet. We made a trip to the Vet and were told to paper train Chase, as she did not have all her shots and we at the time had no fence. We thought this would be fine as we wanted her safe from parvo etc...

Well... it was hard for her to adjust to the paper, but after a few hours she did fine on papers by the back door. However her shots were not complete for several months and she has had a hard time ever since with urination and pooping in the house. We did move the soiled papers outside to train her that the latrine would now be located there. We took her outside every hour but found at night she was sneaking down to the back door and due to the removal of her papers. Chase now moved from the tiled 3 X 5 entryway, on to the carpeted family room right inside by the back door.

I was not aware of this problem, as the smell was not noticed right away. We did try crate training prior to this but Chase would get diarrhea and make a huge mess of herself in the crate. (We tried a metal cage and a regular dog crate)

I then bought a metal dog run 10 X 10 and put her outside during the day and in at night getting up to let her out. I would still find a pile of dog logs in the morning by the back door on the carpet! I would remove and take outside to show her the correct area to relieve herself. Chase began to pace in the dog run back in forth all day creating a bare path. (the neighbor informed me that she paced all day never laying down)

I spoke with the Vet and was told we could tranquilize Chase to be calm during the day. It was assumed she was having separation anxiety. I decided, I did not want to drug the dog. I installed a chain link fence creating a much larger area 70 X 125. I did keep her area to potty the same towards the back fence. Chase was out during the day and in at night, she was doing OK, for a while. But... then became ill and was taken to the Vet.

The doctor found upon examination Chase had tonsillitis. We kept her inside with the boys as it was summer and she was sick with the tonsils and had fever and was on medication. The boys were not as vigilant with taking her outside each hour. SO... more urine to the carpet. ( My husband and I work full-time)

We have purchased much enzyme spray and urine out and a professional carpet cleaner, to keep the smell out of the carpet to prevent recurrences.

We decided around the same time to have her spayed, as we were not wanting to be in the dog business. More time inside for recuperation and more urine to the carpet... Chase was then 1 year old.

We were told by the Vet to keep cleaning the carpet and stay focused on a ritual of going outside to potty.

We are now 2 years later and Have just installed a Dog door hoping maybe this will do the trick. (Heavy-Duty Dog Doors and Pet Doors from Gun Dog House Door) We have been and are patient per the makers instruction, we have removed the door and replaced with carpet as a flap. The noise of the dog door shutting caused Chase to run the other way. Chase is using the door with the carpet flap if coaxed with a treat or if someone is outside especially my husband she will flee right out the door.

This morning I awoke to 3 piles of dog logs!! If I did not know my children better, I would have blamed them as I have never had Chase go so much in the house. I understand maybe with the 4Th of July fireworks... she did not go during the day??

I am sorry to write such a long story but... I have bought books and DVD's and have tried my best to stay consistent with Chase. I am now at a loss.. we have only lived in this house since 8/2003. We were the first owners and had brand new carpet and beautiful oak molding and base boards. Chase chewed on a lot of the base boards but we were able to break that with a little of Alum and Vaseline.

I am at a total stand still as what to due now. I am so sick of the smell in the family room; even with the enzyme saturation and carpet shampooing, I can still smell "Urine Ode la toilet water of CHASE" She has no health problems and is to the Vet on a regular basis.

The family room has been abandoned due to smell! I have a lovely large sectional couch and new TV. I would like to reclaim the family-room and spend time with the boys watching the TV and playing board games before they grow up LOL. HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Carleyjune
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Read through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809 I am sure much of it is old and is highly crate oriented, but some of the details should help. I always advise people not to use papers and pads. I see too many questions like yours. Make sure she walks around on her last trip outside. Exercise stimulates elimination. Then restrict her as much as you can over night, perhaps trying the crate again, a tie down, or shutting her in one room. When you are home with her in the house, keep a close watch on her. Close doors, use gates, or a tie down to keep her in site. Learn to recognize the signs she needs to go out, and her schedule. Taking her out when she needs it, walking her around, and then praising her should help. Take the water up about 7 PM. Keep the lid to the toilet closed too.

Steam cleaning the carpets with pet odor solution now may help the problem and make the house more livable. Then a follow up as she improves.
    cissy0801 Posts: 129, Reputation: 6

Nov 10, 2007, 07:31 PM
    So, you can put them in the backyard or laundry or what ever place you put the dog at night.

I suggest an enclosed area such as the laundry for best results.

On the first night, you should cover the whole area in news paper.

You reward them when they pee on the news paper.

The second night, you decrease in the number of newspaper until the you only have one sheet of news paper left and they should get used to the one sheet of news paper. You shouldn't change spots of the newspaper as they will tend to go back to the spot you started training them.

If you want to move spots, you should slowly move a few centimeters a time.

I hope this works good luck!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 09:14 PM
    This problem was largely caused by using papers. I fail to see how going back to them will fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 2 and a half yr old son won't be potty trained! [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 3 in may and he will not use the potty or the toilet! He is a very clever little boy I know that he knows what to do but getting him to do it is impossible... In the past week he has sat on the toilet and done a wee a couple of times, and then from there I have carried on letting him...

Potty trained but occasionally urinate in the house [ 1 Answers ]

Our dog, 2 years old female Chihuahua, is potty trained and 99% of time, she goes out to the patio through a pet door where potty papers are always. The other day we found her urinate in our bed! First time! Hopefully last time. We thought dogs never pee where they sleep or eat. She even sleeps...

Dog, 1 yr old, not well house trained.. Need help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend inherited a chow mix dog from his brother because he and his wife had a daughter, and the dog, Gizmo is too hyper and jumpy to have around a baby. The problem is, she was never properly house trained, and now my boyfriend is suffering. She is usually good about letting him...

Potty trained puppy pooping in crate! [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a new 12 week old puppy for a week now... I know that training takes time, but he is pooping in the crate when I am at work is driving me nuts! He doesn't just go- he has to make a spectacle of it- smearing it and grinding it into everything he can reach... I have found it flung onto the...

Is my dog house trained [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am confused, I think my recently one year old pom is house trained. She barks and runs to her spot when she wan't to go out most of the time she goes after sniffing every inch of the ground or barking at people or leaves. Recently ( the past two months) she has been going in the house it is...

View more questions Search