Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Jun 28, 2005, 01:28 PM
    Tankless water heaters worth it?
    Greetings all.
    I'm wondering what your expert opinions are of tankless "on-demand" water heaters (for the whole house). I found some supposedly new ones on EBay for about $750 (natural gas) and would do the installation myself. But I've never lived in a house that had one, and wanted to know if there was any industry wisdom on them. Obviously I'll have to buy one that's powerful enough to supply my house, plus room for future growth. Any other thoughts on these? Any brands to look for, or stay away from?

Thanks for any help or advice!

- james
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2005, 02:36 PM
    I have looked in to them and passed them by. If you currently have a gas hot water tank, look at your bill. One of the better insulated conventional tanks might be a better investment. This question keeps coming up, check these threads. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...light=tankless

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...light=tankless

My daughter recently installed one. I am waiting to hear how it does for them. Also watch the minimum flow rates and clearances.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 28, 2005, 06:39 PM
    If your usage is...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamlove
    Greetings all.
    I'm wondering what your expert opinions are of tankless "on-demand" water heaters (for the whole house). I found some supposedly new ones on EBay for about $750 (natural gas) and would do the installation myself. But I've never lived in a house that had one, and wanted to know if there was any industry wisdom on them. Obviously I'll have to buy one that's powerful enough to supply my house, plus room for future growth. Any other thoughts on these? Any brands to look for, or stay away from?

Thanks for any help or advice!

- james
    ... high (have children?) it can be a worthwhile investment and in particular if you have an electric heater. Bosch and Takagi are name brands but it doesn't sound like at $750 you are getting a premier name? The off names can be just as reliable and I have seen such a unit.

As for the install, be careful to vent properly as these things emit an enormous amount of gases in a short period. Failure to vent the unit according to both the manufacturer's instructions and building codes can lead to lethal amounts of exhaust gases.
    emmad2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2013, 12:12 AM
    What about the quality of a Rennai R53 tankless gas water heater, are there any problems with it and the average price and when was it manufactured ?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 19, 2013, 10:54 AM
    My company was one of the first ones to be trained and certified for installation of tankless hot water heaters in So.California. As an installer I swear by them. As a homeowner, I swear by them, as well. Have 2 tankless hot water heaters in my own house and I could not be happier. Yes, the upstart cost is a bit higher than conventional hot water heater - but every thing else is superior to them. If you have the funds to install one - I highly recommend doing so. Back to you. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless water heater [ 13 Answers ]

Tom, how are you doing? What are your thoughts on these tankles heaters? Are they really able to do the job of supplying all the hot water you need? I will have a large whirlpool tub, one shower, and the obvious other stuff. Washer, dishwasher, and sinks through out the house. Will they support...

Tankless Water Heater [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking to install a GAS tankless water heater and I read that you need an area of 750 sq ft of combustable air for this unit I want to install. My question is; Does that mean that this has to be a wide open area because my basement is 1000 sq ft but it is framed out into 3 rooms. All rooms...

Tankless water demand... [ 3 Answers ]

At this time I have a Bock oil fired water tank in our home, for about eight to nine years. We also have a deep well and our own septic, what I'm getting to is water pressure, deep well pump on at about 45psi and off at around 64psi. With the low pressure at 45, would that be too low for a tankless...

Short Question About Flushing Water Heaters [ 2 Answers ]

I've read in many posts here that it is important to flush your water heater regularly. All instructions have been to connect a hose to the boiler valve at the bottom of the tank and let it run until the water runs clear. My heater has a valve about halfway up the tank with a plastic hose running...

How to plan gas pipe job to hook-up tankless hot water heaters [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Ask Me Help Desk, I am installing two Paloma 200K BTU tankless hot water heaters in our L-Shaped 2900 square feet 1963-built rancher in Atlanta, GA. I am trying to decide if I should tackle the gas line part of the job. I have successfully done a number of small gas jobs which required...

View more questions Search