Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katieisaqt3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2005, 02:54 PM
    6 week old mini dash.
    4 days ago I brought home my new puppy- He is a 6wk old male mini dash. He is as sweet as can be, healthy and seems to be highly intelligent. He is quite small-he was the "runt" of the litter- so I am nervous when it comes to taking care of him. I mix wet puppy food and dry puppy food together at morning and night and leave plain dry puppy food with him in his crate during the day while I'm away. Is this okay? He seems to be doing fine with it- although I can tell he picks around the dry food and doesn't seem to touch the dry food I leave with him during the day. I'm just trying to make it available to him. I allow him to sleep with me at night- and he does wake me up 2 to 3 times during the night to go outside-which is fantastic. But I have heard not to allow your puppy to sleep with you. But this routine seems to be working out for the best. Also- at what ago should he be neutered? Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2005, 03:28 PM
    I don't see any real problems with what you are doing. The sooner you cut out the moist food, the easier it may be for you to show the discipline you may need to. If you like having him sleep with you, fine as long as he doesn't decide he is top dog. The runt of the litter must be strong willed to survive. They can challenge you for leadership. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

Overweight shortens all dogs lives and adds stress to Doxie's backs. Most puppies come from the breeder too fat. If he doesn't have a waist, do not increase what you are feeding him until you can see one.
    Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest.
    You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is
    Different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog
    Must have its food adjusted to its individual needs. See
    http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292.

He could be neutered anytime, but most vets wait until 6 months when the testicles are fully decended. You will be running him in for shots and can talk to the vet then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dash Lights [ 1 Answers ]

So many of the lights in my dash have burned out that I can't see how fast I'm going at night! In the repair books it shows six screws on the face plate of the instrument cluster, mine doesn't have any. Anyone familiar with this? 1991 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. Thanks

Problem with dash on a 96' civic [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Friends: I just recently bought a 96 civic coupe and Im having a problem with the dashboard and center console lights. I took it to the repair shop and they told me they fixed it, but it came back after a week. They said that it was the fuse and a wire, but it's recurring at...

97 cavalier dash removal [ 0 Answers ]

I need help removeing the dash on my 97 cavalier, I got all the screws but one, the one right or the airbag, I can't find it, please help

Mini Dash Being Sick after Eating [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a mini Dash who is now 7 years old, recently she has been gagging as if she has something stuck in her throat. It does not happen all the time yet today she has been sick after eating her food. I always soak her food but today she had difficulty in swallowing it, she kept vomitting...

View more questions Search