Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GoldenJmm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Recorded my sleep and picked up weird ghostly talks
    :confused: Hi I have been told I need a sleep study done on me, am so tired in the mornings. I did buy a recorder, digital one and before bed put it on. It is voice activated. I had what I thought was a nightmare, thought someone was strangling me, had hard time breathing, then woke up. I did think my husband came home that night for some eery reason he was fishing. Well all tv's and fans shut off for this is voice activated. The first sound bright and clear of a man saying there is nothing here time for you to leave go out the back door. By the time on the recorder an hour later, all kinds of sounds were on this recorder. Whispering cursing, sounds of swing in background that needed oiling, crying in the background, more like screaming. A door seemed to be opening, heard from afar a voice say GET OUT. Well the next thing heard a man say what are you trying to kill me, then I heard my wheezing, I indeed thought I was dreaming and being strangled that sound came out, then other noises, and after my trying to take a breath heard soft laughter from women, like trying to drown out my tying to get my breath, then I woke up. I then thought like I said my husband came home day early and went back to sleep. It was strange when the man says What are you trying to kill me it is then I hear my gasping for air I was like in the dream being strangled. Well I tried this out to catch any sleep apnea I might of have before a sleep study and before setting the recorder heard on TV just say anyone want to talk go ahead, of course when I played this back I was surprised. Of course can't errase it all my family wants to hear it. Just so strange.
    The reason for sleep study in the am I am not refreshed until at least late at night.
    Thank you Joan any suggestions
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2007, 11:16 PM
    The first thing that I would do is look for logical explanations for the sounds and speaking on the recording. Did you have a window open near the recorder? If so, maybe it was picking up the sounds of some neighbors who were fighting.

Another thing is, that some people will move around A LOT in bed when they are sleeping. For a number of years, I would wake up in the mornings and find that my top mattress may have moved as much as a foot away from the headboard. There was no footboard to prevent the top mattress from moving away from the headboard. I know this happens because in speaking with friends, it has happened to some of them also.

The voice activated recorder could also probably be activated by any sounds. If you were moving around, then you may have been making enough noises to activate it. Also, you may have been speaking in your sleep, if you were having a nightmare, and your voice may not have even sounded like your own because of the relaxed condition of your vocal folds and everything else that goes into making you sound like you. If you have not heard very many recordings of yourself, or even never listened to a recording of yourself or for that matter, never been recorded, you may not be recognizing that it is the sound of your own voice. The sound of a squeaking swing that needed oiling, may have just been the sounds of the springs in the bed.

My dad used to have many nightmares. He would speak out loud during them. He did not sound like himself. I was a child when I remember him having the nightmares. I do remember that I could understand almost everything that he was saying and that the experience of listening to him scared me.

Most voice/sound activated recorders will not start at the instant the sound happens. There may be a very slight, what appears to be a pause, in the recording. If not everything in the recording is crystal clear as to what is being said, then you may be INTERPRETING what you THINK has been said because you may not be hearing the whole thing and what you hear may not be crystal clear.

Are there more reasons for having a sleep study done, other than for being tired in the mornings? I mean, why would you bother to by a recorder and record yourself as you sleep?

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of something paranormal. However, I would suggest ruling out every other logical possibility first.

You may even have been walking in your sleep or even role-playing. You don't really know, because you weren't awake!

I hope that the sleep study works out for you and you find out what is going on so that you can get a better nights sleep!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting your bones picked cleaned [ 5 Answers ]

Anybody out there tired of getting there brains beat in by blackjack, you could be making costly mistakes or playing in second rate games and having your bones picked clean before you even finished your first beer. Maybe I could give you some sound advive in the do's and dont's about the...

I'm pregnant and baby's daddy still talks to ex [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Ok I'm going to try to make a long story short but I really need some advice on this if some one can please help me cause I am so confused and don't know what to do... I started dating this guy in September and he was still talking to his ex and I kind of knew it just wasn't sure of it I...

Girlfriend and I broke up but she talks about future. [ 8 Answers ]

OK. Well this is my first post. My girlfriend and I broke up last night. I was dating this girl for 10 months and we are relatively young. Also, about half of our relationship has been a long distance relationship with me at college and her at home. We have both been faithful to each other...

I picked up a pregnant stray yesterday [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the desert and it was 127 yesterday and I seen a stray cat outside a truck stop. She is as big as a house. So I decided it's too hot to let her stay in this heat so I took her home. Well anyway she was acting very sweet and loving and later last night she started hissing at everyone that...

View more questions Search