Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jason_bowing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2011, 08:54 AM
    Electric bill went up three times
    Have a friend that his electric bill has went up greatly in the past year. Has went from paying 45$ to 250$ in the summer and went from 300$ to 600$ and at most 1200$ in the winter. I am a heating and cooling guy and plumber by trade and I checked his heating system and water heater and they were running just fine. For the life of me I am having a hard time figuring out what is causing this I first thought the meter was bad but the electric comp. Checked it and said it is OK and will not change it out. So I am trying to help the best I can and could you some advise for someone that has seen this or has had it happen to them. Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2011, 01:22 PM
    These problems are difficult to solve over the internet.

Even on site is not easy. A load study with a recording meter may be needed to confirm that the power the utility meter is seeing is there. Then work on finding the circuit or circuits that is drawing the high power.

Looking for water heater or comfort heating elements running wild, electric heat in heat pumps on constantly, things of that nature.

Lights on 24/7.

Teenagers.

Changes in the home, more occupants.

Can be anything.

Rare cases have been found of next door neighbors stealing power.

No job for a DIY'er, and good service/troubleshooting electrician with the proper tools and instruments is needed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2011, 02:11 PM
    First does he first charges seem correct, 45 dollars seems like almost NO use. Unless he is not running a air conditioner and no lights at night, a almost empty house with just a few things on runs 45 dollars.

How many people in the house, what areas ?

Also has he turned everything in the house off, unplugged everything to see if they is still usage shown

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I put an electric fireplace will it make my electric bill go up really high? [ 5 Answers ]

So I want to go and buy an electric fireplace for my house but I don't want my electric bill to sky rocket, I mean I would expect it to go up a little, so does anyone know?

Why my water bill is ten times higher than before? [ 0 Answers ]

I need help with my water bill: I own a six family building in Jersey City, NJ. My eight previous billings average was $474.85 per bill. My last three bill were: $2,705.42, $2,445.42 and the last one $4,582.58. All these increased started after they installed new pipes (connected to each home) in...

Cutting down electric bill [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live with a friend who owns the home we live in. We've had a silent argument for several years. We live in Texas so the summers are really hot! We have a many plants and have moved most of them to the kitchen table, where I put up heat reflective film on the windows in there, but she...

In Ground Pool and Electric Bill [ 2 Answers ]

This is my first summer owning an inground pool and I got my first electric bill which was about $100 higher than this time last year. My electric company tells me it's because of the swimming pool. Is this normal? Should I expect my electric bill to be this much higher just by running the pool...

View more questions Search