Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AerBear Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2013, 03:23 PM
    Can I put a stick of bamboo in with my Betta?
    My mother has bamboo plants and she recently found a branch of it broken off and it got me thinking, would it be harmful if I put a branch in with my betta? Or will it just rot and die? I have water conditioner so not to worry about that. And I know bamboo aren't a water plant, but it's just an idea. But if anyone knows of any plants that are OK to put with a betta fish please let me know! I'm new at betta owning :) oh and are sucker fish an okay fish mate? I've heard many things but I wanted to make sure before I made any decisions, and I have a pump too guys.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
    The bamboo will rot. There are water plants for aquariums, salt or fresh water. Not too many floating ones so that the Betta can create a nest if it comes to that. They don't really like other fish except one at mating time. He might kill it.

Jun 14, 2013, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    The bamboo will rot. There are water plants for aquariums, salt or fresh water. Not too many floating ones so that the Betta can create a nest if it comes to that. They don't really like other fish except one at mating time. He might kill it.
    Mind mentioning any plants?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 08:47 PM
    Go to the pet store and find some plants there.

Betta fish can get along with other fish as long as they are not also Betta. You have to be careful though that what you get won't want to nip at their long fins. Betta generally keep to themselves when housed with other fish. Bettas together will fight, usually until one is dead. I have found Tetras to be a friendly, easy going fish that really bother no other fish. Just be careful that you have enough room and filtration to support the amount of fish you are looking at getting.

And as Joy said... no Bamboo... no sticks... the fish doesn't need a playground.

Jun 14, 2013, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Go to the pet store and find some plants there.

Betta fish can get along with other fish as long as they are not also Betta. You have to be careful though that what you get won't want to nip at their long fins. Betta generally keep to themselves when housed with other fish. Bettas together will fight, usually until one is dead. I have found Tetras to be a friendly, easy going fish that really bother no other fish. Just be careful that you have enough room and filtration to support the amount of fish you are looking at getting.

And as Joy said...no Bamboo...no sticks....the fish doesn't need a playground.

Thank for your input! It has helped give me an idea :)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 15, 2013, 07:30 AM
    I just also thought of Guppies... Guppies are among the most laid-back fish you are ever going to find. I have had Guppies mixed with a Betta before, no problems.

Jun 15, 2013, 06:01 PM
    Don't guppies multiply? But that's a really good idea!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you put peel and stick tile over tile [ 2 Answers ]

I have white 4 x 4 tiles as the kitchen backsplash. My question is can I just put peel and stick glass mosiac tile that I saw at menards over the existing tile. The tiles that I saw at the store are in 12 x12 sheets that have 1 x1 tiles in the 12 x12 sheet. There is nothing wrong with the...

Can I use self-stick primer on existing peel & stick tiles? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to put some new peel and stick tile down over the existing peel & stick tiles that's already there. The guy at Lowe's advised me to use Henry Bond Enhancer but the directions on the back doesn't say if this could be used on tile. Please help me.

I put a new capicator in my ac and I still have to use a stick to start the fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 comfort maker central air conditioner and the fan on the motor won't spin on its own. I put a new capicator in also, do I need a new motor how much is this?

Why won't peel and stick tile stick to plywood? [ 2 Answers ]

Why can't we get the peel and stick floor tile to stick to plywood? We tried the primer and adhiesive and a few other things.. nothing works. Is it likely we may have to buy something such as very very thin wood that looks like paneling, I can't remember the name, to cover the floor in and lay it...

Can I put self stick tile over black mastik on cement floor [ 2 Answers ]

I pulled up some old tiles from the basement floor several months ago. Now I decided to remove most of the rest of them and found out recently that the black mastik glue probably contains asbestos. I would like to install new self stick vinyl tiles over the floor. My questions are: Will the new...

View more questions Search