Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMatthews Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 10:23 PM
    physics momentum and impulse
    A helium nucleus (He-4) of mass 4 amu moving with a speed v breaks up into a neutron (mass 1 amu) and a helium isotope nucleus (He-3) of mass 3 amu. The neutron moves off at right angles to the original He-4. If the neutron speed is 3v, what is the final velocity of the He-3 nucleus?

Ok, so I drew a diagram, chose my x and y axes and I know that Momentum is conserved in both directions and that initial momentum = final momentum but I can't seem to figure it out! Here's what I have:

H4= He 4 amu Atom
    N= Nucleus
    H3= He 3 amu Atom

Pi = Pf

MH4VH4 = -MH3VH3 + MNVN
    Subtract MNVN to get
    MH4VH4 - MNVN = -MH3VH3
    Divide by -MH3 to get
    (MH4/-MH3)VH4 – (MN/-MH3)VN = VH3

But then what do I do with the velocity? Please help me!!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 07:20 AM

Consider conservation of momentum in two components - the original direction (let's call this the x-direction), and in the perpendicular direction (y direction).

In the x-direction, conservation of momentum says:
    4au*v= 3 au* VH3x

Where VH3x is the velocity of the H3 particle in the x direction. From this you have VH3x in terms of the original velocity v. Note that the neutron has no component of momentum in this direction, so isn't included in this formula.

Conservation of momentum in the y-direction (perpendicular to the original direction of motion):

0 = 3au*VH3y + 1au*3v

So now you have the y-component of the velocity of the H3 particle, in terms of v.

Now that you have both the x- and y-components for VH3, you can calculate H3's velocity.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Physics: Momentum and Collisions [ 3 Answers ]

a 90 kg astronaut floating in space is carrying a 1 kg camera and a 10 kg baatter pack. he hurls the camera out into space at 15 m/s and throws the battery at 10 m/s in the same direction. What's the resulting increase inhis speed after each throw? would I have to use the impulse or momentum...

Grade 11 Physics Impulse and momentum [ 2 Answers ]

A 0.145 kg baseball is pitched 42 m/s The batter hits it horizontally to the pitcher at 58 m/s A) Find the change in momentum of the ball B) If the ball and bat are in contact for 4.6 x 10 exponent -4 seconds what is the average force during contact?

Impulse and Momentum [ 1 Answers ]

A small 120 kg rocket is fired vertically, proppelled by an engine with a thrust of 6500N. THe engine ejects gas at the rate of 4.5kg/s. Calculate the change in velocity of gases relative to the engine. You must use momentum as a last step to answer this question. I am confused on how to answer...

Physics momentum [ 1 Answers ]

A car moving at 20 m/s crashes into a wall and is brought to rest in 0.1 s. What is the average force in kN exerted on a 75-kg dummy by the seat belt?

Physics : Momentum [ 1 Answers ]

An 18 Kg Canada Goose is flying due south at a constant height of 75 m with a speed of 25m/s. She is struck by a 12 kg Bald Eagle, whose path just before collision was due north climbing at and angle of 60 above the horizontal. Immediately after the collision, the bodies of the two birds are struck...

View more questions Search