Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ivory9109 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Physics: Momentum and Collisions
    a 90 kg astronaut floating in space is carrying a 1 kg camera and a 10 kg baatter pack.
    he hurls the camera out into space at 15 m/s and throws the battery at 10 m/s in the same direction. What's the resulting increase inhis speed after each throw?

would I have to use the impulse or momentum equation for this? And would I be able to solve this in one equation or will I have to use a couple. Any directions on how to start the problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 11:31 AM

You would use conservation of momentum for these problems. One equation for each of the two throws to find the astronaut's change of velocity. Don't forget that the astronaut has the battery pack still with him when he throws the camera, so his total mass at that point is 90+10kg. Hope this helps.
    rebel-2 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Nov 20, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    You would use conservation of momentum for these problems. One equation for each of the two throws to find the astronaut's change of velocity. Don't forget that the astronaut has the battery pack still with him when he throws the camera, so his total mass at that point is 90+10kg. Hope this helps.
    Hey there ebaines I am having troubles with the question as well after reading it. Wouldn't we consider total momentum before hand to be zero? or am I just plain wrong... help!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 09:20 PM

Yes- initial momentum is zero, and so is final momentum. Remember that the velocities of the astronaut and camera or toolbag are in opposite directions - so consider one to be negative and the other positive. Hence when the astronaut throws the camera you have:

where and are the mass and velocity of the astronaut/battery and and are the mass and velocity of the camera. You know all the values here except for , which you can now solve for. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Collisions and Momentum [ 1 Answers ]

A ball is dropped from a height of 1.60 m and rebounds to a height of 1.40 m. How many rebounds will the ball make before losing at least 90% of its energy?

Momentum,energy physics [ 2 Answers ]

Please could you help me with these problems..Thanks in advance for your help. 14.) A person moves a large box across a level floor by applying a horizontal force of 300 N. If the person pushes the box a distance of 6 meters in 10 seconds, how much work does the person do on the box?a. 180...

Physics momentum [ 1 Answers ]

A car moving at 20 m/s crashes into a wall and is brought to rest in 0.1 s. What is the average force in kN exerted on a 75-kg dummy by the seat belt?

Momentum-classical physics [ 2 Answers ]

Is momentum how difficult it is to stop an object? Much appreciated Thanks:)

Physics : Momentum [ 1 Answers ]

An 18 Kg Canada Goose is flying due south at a constant height of 75 m with a speed of 25m/s. She is struck by a 12 kg Bald Eagle, whose path just before collision was due north climbing at and angle of 60 above the horizontal. Immediately after the collision, the bodies of the two birds are struck...

View more questions Search