Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrauh8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Can I get Rid Of This Levy? NJ
    Just the other day I had all the money I received from a government grant for my college expenses taken from bank by Capital One that I owed money to, from about two years. The amount was about $750 but it has grown to almost $2,000! They have been charging me interest even though it is in collections. I tried to settle with them in the summer and they wanted me to pay $300 a month! I was working minimum wage at fast food, trying to pay for college. I told them I couldn't pay and they wanted me to take out students loans and pay them off. Since I have bad credit and no family to rely on (my mother is on disablity and government housing.) So, I work part time and pay for all my schooling and needs myself. Taking my grant money is crazy! I need that for school to cover my expenses I don't know what I'm going to do. I have no idea how this process works I'm going to contact the lawyer who did the levy but I don't think they will care. I'm already a super poor college students of only 19! This is crazy I didn't know you could do this kind of thing!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2009, 05:19 PM

Were you aware that they had filed suit against you and obtained a judgement?
    mrauh8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 05:31 PM
    I was living on campus in Delaware last year while my mail was being set to my permanent address in NJ with my mom. My mom is mentally unstable from trauma and has a hard time with simple things like giving me mail! So, I honestly don't know if I did, but I don't think so. I found out when I tried to make low monthly payments over the phone. However since I really didn't understand much and didn't have money to pay how much they wanted anyway I figured there was nothing I could do. I thought that once I get a large enough loan from school or a scholarship I could settle with them. They have so much of my money now I don't think they will want to settle with me. I eventually got a letter but it didn't say anything about taking my money from my account.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2009, 05:40 PM

If you were not properly served, you may be able to get the judgement vacated on the grounds of improper service. That would be your only hope.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 05:43 PM

And unless the courts have declared your mother not capable of taking care of herself, if she received or was served, it is very possible you were served. You can go to the court and review the information on the case including the service

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS levy [ 1 Answers ]

Can the IRS place a levy on a law suit settlrment

Tax levy [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a levy on my bank account. How do I respond and stop future levy's or garnishment?

Bank levy [ 4 Answers ]

I owe on this credit card, and am afraid they are going to levy bank account, can they also levy my paypal account, I live in California

IRS levy [ 1 Answers ]

I just had my bank account levied. It was due to a IRS compliant. My question is, they took out money to satisfy the judgement, does this mean that whenever in the future if I was to deposit more money in the account, it will be withdrawn again ?

Levy [ 1 Answers ]

The sheriff has papers to serve me concerning a levyon a debt. This debt is old, & my understanding is that the amount is $8,000 but the sheriff is to seize anything valued up to $17,000 in my name to be sold to satisfy this debt. My question is I have a vehicle that is in my name & one that is in...

View more questions Search