Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigMan1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 09:58 AM
    I am a non biological father seeking legal visitation rights for my son.
    I am a non biological father seeking legal visitation rights for my son. I'm not on the birth certificate. But I have raisied him sense birth. I no longer want to be with his mother but I no if we split I will no longer be able to see him anymore. Is there anything I can do?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 04:14 PM

You will need to consult a good family law attorney on this.

Being that you are not married to the mother and never formally adopted the child (if you had gotten married) at this point I do not see you having any legal standing to see this child after you and the mother split up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 04:27 PM

There is little you can do, you are not an adoptive father and a step father is not a legal family.

Unless the mother will allow you to see the child, sadly there is little you can do. Since you are getting a divorce anyway, ask your divorce attorney to try and get something added, but I suspect it will not fly though the court
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 06:13 PM

Is the bio dad in the picture at all ? If not then have you been presenting yourself as the child's father ? If you have and bio dad is MIA then you might be able to convince the courts of visitation because you have acted in the child's best nterest and the father by default.
    How old is the child and how long has the relationship been for ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-Biological Father Seeking Sole Custody in Divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently served with divorce papers from my estranged husband. I was a stay-at-home mother, and he abandoned us back in May to be with his married mistress. He is now seeking sole custody of my two year old son. My son is not biologically my husband's child. Due to the fact we were married at...

Non-biological father wanting to sign off rights so the biological father [ 15 Answers ]

I was pressured into signing as the father to my now ex girlfriends baby, she's now back with the biological father and we're trying to find out how I can sign the rights over so that the biological father can have rights of his baby. How would we go about signing off my rights, and would anything...

Biological Father had custodial rights terminated but still gets visitation [ 23 Answers ]

My wife has a 3 yr-old son with a man and they were never married. I have known my wife since we were kids so I was around this child since he was born. The man found out the child was his when he was about 1 and never did anything to acknowledge him or pay any type of support. He decided to take...

Can I as a non biological father get any visitation rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I was one of three possabilitys of being my daughters father! I thought she was mine since the mother had got pregnant. Even after she was born I believed so! The mother and I were not togeather but her and the baby lived with me and I bought the diapers, formula, baby food, everything. During...

Seeking biological father [ 2 Answers ]

Would like to find biological father . How to go about it

View more questions Search