Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cincij Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Leaking Shower Drain, Bottom Nut Stuck
    Hello All,

I am putting a ceiling in an unfinished room below my master bath, but we have a leak from the shower above. I am trying to loosen the bottom nut (already disassembled the top side) but the whole drain is turning.

Any ideas how I can break this loose?

Thank You,
    Josh
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 06:45 PM
    If I understand you correctly...

You need two wrenches or two pliers or an adjustable slip nut wrench or similar and a wrench (see pics.)... so you can hold the shower drain NUT with one wrench and you can bite into threads of shower drain with the other and remove the NUT (once get nut started, as long as did not crush threads with wrench/pliers... should remove pretty easy).

Try this first... (tools available at all home supply stores.. best is adjustable slip nut wrench.. but if have others in tool box.. try them first! ).

Let us know what happens... Mark
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2008, 05:13 AM
    And if that doesn't work, I have someone hold the shower drain,(see image) while I whack at the nut with a hammer and chisel.
    Marks,
    (once get nut started, as long as did not crush threads with wrench/pliers... should remove pretty easy).
    is bang on. Get the nut started or simply take a hacksaw and nut and peel the nut off. Good luck, Tom

Apr 20, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Still having no luck getting this off. THere is no room on the bottom side for a wrech, which is not a problem because the nut is just flat with ribs in it. So I have been trying to whack said ribs with a hammer and screwdriver while someone holds the top side, but I am not able to get it to budge.

I don't know but maybe my only recourse now is to cut this piece out? It is brass, so even this will be a challenge.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2008, 10:52 AM
    maybe my only recourse now is to cut this piece out? It is brass, so even this will be a challenge.
    Not too difficult a challenge. Simply hacksaw the brass nut and peel the nut off. Good luck, Tom

Apr 20, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Unfortunately I cannot get a hacksaw on the nut. I was thinking more towards cutting the shower side flange off. Any thoughts on this?
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2008, 11:42 AM
    I'd be afraid of cutting into the shower base if I cut out the drain from the top.
    Unfortunately I cannot get a hacksaw on the nut
    Sure you can. Not the entire saw but if you wrap a rag around a hacksaw blade and just saw the nut apart then you can slip a screwdriver under the threads and simply peel that sucker out of there. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain leaking out of washer drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two showers upstairs and it just started leaking when the shower is running it will pour water out of the downstairs drain that the washer drains out of. What could this be

Shower head leaking from bottom of head [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a new hand held shower head and I put a washer into the wall part and stopped it from coming out of there but now the water sprays out of the bottom of the head instead of coming out of the actual head

How to remove damaged or stuck shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

How can you remove a damaged nor stuck shower drain

Shower Drain Leaking [ 1 Answers ]

My shower drain is leaking. There's a gray sleeve that appears to go around the drain pipe which is about 3 inches wide. There's a black gasket that sits over the pipe. Could that black gasket be all there is between not leaking and leaking? What does the cross section of the sleeve around...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

View more questions Search