Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ExarKun Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 11:18 AM
    At Fault Accident, My Insurance Rates?
    Ok, so I was in my first accident ever. Ive only been driving for a year, so I'm a new driver. My record is clean, except for a few parking violations. So, last week I was driving my sisters car here in California, and ran over a rolled up rug on the road. It was dark at night and really had little time to react when I saw it. The outcome: pretty heavy damage to the vechile. It runs perfectly and drives straight, but a lot of parts are broken or bent out of shape. Anyway, it looks like repairs are going to be costly, maybe around $5000.
    The bad thing is my sister did not have insurance on her car, as it expired a week before the accident. Basically, my insurance is going to cover for it.
    So, my question is, is this likely to affect my insurance rates? I think that's a pretty obvious question, but what Im curious about is roughly how much would you think it would go up? Am I likely to see a huge increase?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Yes, if you are asking if the accident reported to your insurance will raise your rates.

Especially given your short time on the road, it could go up quite a bit, or could even be canceled.

Given the cost to repair a vehicle these days, even the smallest dent is over $1000.

Jul 31, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Yeah I know, its crazy. I mean, I think its just pure bad luck. I consider myself a good driver and don't drive recklessly. I mean it happened on a huge freeway and you don't expect to see any huge objects on your lane, let alone it happened during the night.

I did do a little research on the internet, and read that if you're a new driver, you already have a premium stuck on your policy for being inexperienced. I heard that this would lessen the likeliness or amount of an increase of your rates, since your already considered inexperienced. Does anyone think this could be true?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 01:30 PM
    If it is well documented, you may have a claim against the State or whichever entity maintains the road you were driving on. I'm sure it varies by state but the state I worked for paid tort claims for road hazards--in some cases. Rugs and mattresses are extreme hazards, not to mention ladders! If it is on the police report, that should be a plus but the big if is the controlling law. Ask your insurance agent if there is an appeal process if they plan to increase rates. State insurance commissioners can provide info too.

Jul 31, 2008, 04:25 PM
    I really appreciated your help smearcase. I honestly feel like I am a victim here, not a complete ignorant driver. I find it absurd how insurance companies only look at whether an object is stationary or flying in the air to consider whether you are at fault or not. There are a lot of stationary objects that could easily sit on the highway and even the most careful/safe driver would run over. Sorry, I just had to rant a little bit.

I am considering making a claim against the State. The accident happened in the state of California and I was just reading a about their policy. I did not file a police report, but a policeman was there on the scene. The reason why I did not say anything was because he told me it would be recorded with the DMV and it would enter and add points to my driving record. But, now that I think of it I was an idiot. I could have at least asked for his name and dept. If anyone has experienced a problem similar to mine, please tell me if I have any other options asides from taking the blame completely.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Insurance companies don't care who, what or why, if you have a wreck and it is the other persons fault, but they have no insurance and they have to pay, it still goes against you normally, they are only about profit and loss, what they pay out, and the risks of it happening again.

In fact you may even be lucky if they don't cancell you at the next renewal time
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ExarKun
    I really appreciated your help smearcase. I honestly feel like I am a victim here, not a complete ignorant driver. I find it absurd how insurance companies only look at whether an object is stationary or flying in the air to consider whether you are at fault or not. There are a lot of stationary objects that could easily sit on the highway and even the most careful/safe driver would run over. Sorry, I just had to rant a little bit.

I am considering making a claim against the State. The accident happened in the state of California and I was just reading a bout thier policy. I did not file a police report, but a policeman was there on the scene. The reason why I did not say anything was because he told me it would be recorded with the DMV and it would enter and add points to my driving record. But, now that I think of it I was an idiot. I could have atleast asked for his name and dept. If anyone has experienced a problem similar to mine, please tell me if I have any other options asides from taking the blame completely.

What are your ground to sue the State of California?
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    insurance companies don't care who, what or why, if you have a wreck and it is the other persons fault, but they have no insurnace and they ahve to pay, it still goes against you normally, they are only about profit and loss, what they pay out, and the risks of it happening again.

In fact you may even be lucky if they don't cancell you at the next renewal time

Where I am - yes. There will either be a large rate hike or no renewal.

Aug 1, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Wow, OK I would be surprised if they decide not to renew my policy. This is my first accident and I have a clean driving record, and I mean spotless. A large rate hike, I guess I can understand that it is extremely likely to happen. But, do they even take into account how the accident happened? Is there a difference between smashing into another car compare to my situation, running over a rug? Even if the costs of the damage are the same in either situation. I am sure there are statistics that show someone who smashes into a car is more likely to get into a 2nd accident then one who runs over a rug? Or vice versa. Are those statistics not taken into account?
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ExarKun
    Wow, OK i would be surprised if they decide not to renew my policy. This is my first accident and I have a clean driving record, and I mean spotless. A large rate hike, I guess I can understand that it is extremely likely to happen. But, do they even take into account how the accident happened? Is there a difference between smashing into another car compare to my situation, running over a rug? Even if the costs of the damage are the same in either situation. I am sure there are statistics that show someone who smashes into a car is more likely to get into a 2nd accident then one who runs over a rug? Or vice versa. Are those statistics not taken into account?

No, accidents are accidents. They don't sit down and determine the cause. They just count the number of accidents unless you're an established driver. Even then you can get cancelled.

What are your grounds for suing California?

How many people missed the rug before you hit it? That's what is going to be the question - ?

And, no, there are no statistics that show that someone who smashes into a car is more likely to get into a second accident than someone who runs over a rug.

You've got to be joking.

Something was in the road. You didn't see it. You hit it. Other people did not hit it.

That's what the insurance company will look at.

You say you have no violations except for a "few" parking tickets - if the insurance company takes a look at those they will probably decide you are irresponsible. Happens more frequently than people think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No fault accident my insurance lapsed [ 4 Answers ]

I was in an accident and it was not my fault she claimed with her insurance. mine had lapsed what can happen to me?

No proof of Insurance-not at fault accident [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Louisiana, I have an accident which wasn't my fault. The other driver was clearly at fault. She wasn't ticketed, but in the report it clearly stated that she was driving too fast, the speed limit was 25 and she was doing 40. She wasn't paying attention. I discovered that my insurance...

Accident witout insurance and at fault [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My wife had a accident yesterday 03/09/2007 in warren county , mason ,Ohio And she was found at fault as she was taking a left turn and ROW was for the person approaching from the front The police officer wrote that my wife is at fault And both the cars were almost total , and on...

Proof of Insurance for a no-fault auto accident [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently involved in an accident. Unfortunately, my insurance lapsed. I have witnesses that claim the accident was not my fault. However, since I did not have insurance at the time, I do not know what I may be liable for. If I can prove the accident was not my fault, will that mean I will not...

View more questions Search