Ask
    krossbarjr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 03:02 PM
    How do you change a tie rod end?
    I am unable to disconnect the outer tie rod end on my 91 Buick
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 04:26 PM
    We used to use a Fork like tool meant for this that you drive with a hammer, Today I saw one that was more like a puller. Should cost less than $20? It does take force.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 05:48 PM
    It's best to use a puller, not a "pickle fork." Using a puller will prevent you from damaging the grease boot.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 05:58 PM
    First, if you're replacing the tie rod end, loosen the jam nut that lock's the treaded portion of the inner tie rod, and with upward leverage (pry bar) applied to the tie rods, a judicious hammer strike, with an appropriate persuader (hammer) to the area of the steering knuckle where the outer tie rod attaches usually pops that tie rod free. I've done it that way for decades.

If you're not replacing the tie rod end, but a different component, don't break that jam nut free.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 06:56 AM
    I also like to measure from the center of the Ball joint to a point maybe 4 inches down the rod, then unscrew, then when New one is xcrewed in you can get it close enough for Wheel Alignment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is back end and front end collection [ 1 Answers ]

What is back end and front end collection

Feels like a flat tire when driving: tie rod? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter got in her car (92 Pontiac Grand Prix, 70K miles, oil changed faithfully) last night to drive home, and it felt like she had a flat tire. She doesn't. Someone suggested it might be a tie rod. She's concerned about the cost, as she just had a $400 repair, and we don't know a...

Tie rod 97 chevy work truck [ 1 Answers ]

How to install tirods for a 97 chevy work tuck V6 is it complicated Any tips or suggestions have done a lot work on cars and trucks but never this

Front end and back end [ 2 Answers ]

Difference between front end and back end of web page?

Front-end vs. Back-end Tech Writing [ 4 Answers ]

What's the difference? Can someone give me an example of both? I'm SO confused! :confused: Thanks in advance. -HBG

View more questions Search