Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stevew26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 10:02 PM
    Fishy odor in bedroom
    I have a fishy odor in a bedroom in my home. I have removed the carpet and padding, used a shellac(sp)/oil based paint on underfloor and walls, but the smell still comes and goes. I have not noticed it for a couple months, but then it again resurfaced tonight.
    Suggestions/advice?
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Mar 26, 2008, 11:48 PM
    You think it could be coming from the air vents?
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 27, 2008, 04:17 AM
    Yes, it could be coming from the air supply or even once in a while the air return. It could also be something IN your walls or even under your sub floor. Does this room have an attic where it could be coming from? Do you notice it during hot, cold days? Is it stronger or does it come back when it rains?
    Mike
    Stevew26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew26
    I have a fishy odor in a bedroom in my home. I have removed the carpet and padding, used a shellac(sp)/oil based paint on underfloor and walls, but the smell still comes and goes. I have not noticed it for a couple mths, but then it again resurfaced tonight.
    Suggestions/advice??
    Below this bedroom is another bedroom (basement level). There is a drop ceiling in that room but there is no smell down there at all. It seems that when the humidity is at a higher level the smell comes back. Rain or shine doesn't seem to matter. The attic is above the bedroom, but I don't think that is where the smell is because the other 2adjoining bedrooms have no smell at all.
    Athena555 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2009, 06:41 AM

I had a terrible fishy smell in my home-office that only arose when I plugged in a space heater. It was like some food had gone bad, or some fish had been left out to spoil. Very awful - and strong. We washed down all the surfaces in the room and even replaced the heater, but the mysterious smell persisted. We had no clue where the smell was coming from until I happened upon some posts on this site. After hearing about someone else's light socket problem, I thought I'd check out the electrical outlet our heater was plugged into -- it reeked! Turns out the heater was drawing too much electricity. I'm not sure why that produces a rotten fish smell, but the smell's gone now that switched outlets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Smell in Bedroom - Fishy! [ 17 Answers ]

My 17 yr old sons bedroom has, for the past 2 months, had an awful smell - like strong fish - which really catches the back of your throat! I know most people will say all boys rooms smell - but this is different! It started two months ago - for no apparent reason. His sisters say it is him - he...

Fishy Smell In Bedroom! [ 2 Answers ]

I suffered from this ailment as of recently and couldn't figure out the culprate it always appeared in different area's of the room and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally found the problem, we had a 100W bulb in a 60W socket, and it was burning/melting the base of the ikea lamp we...

Strong Methane Odor in Upstairs Bedroom [ 2 Answers ]

We purchased a home 5 years ago and have done renovations. Two years ago we started to experience a strong methane odor in the upstairs bedroom. The odor seems to get stronger when the temp. rises and during the Summer. To track down the odor and try to correct we have done the following...

Musty odor in daughters bedroom [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to get the musty odor out of our daughters bedroom. Recently, we have been inundated with non-stop rain, and apparently some had seeped in. We pulled back the carpet, removed the damp tack boards and baseboard, cut out the damp carpet pad, and opened up the window and now have a fan...

Fishy Smell [ 1 Answers ]

Occasionally our spare bedroom or the hall way smell fishy. The odor seems to come from under the house. The smell is awful but does not last more than an hour or so. HELP THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS! :confused:

View more questions Search