Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowyres69 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Stepchild Filing
    My husband has a two year son who resides with him in Jamaica, and I live in the US. I am their sole source of financial support and intend on adopting the little boy. I will be filing for citizenship in 2009. My questions are these: Should I begin the adoption process now (in time for citizenship), once this goes through how would the 2 year residency requirement affect us? Or Would it be better to just file as a step parent after becoming a citizen?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 12:14 PM
    What is your husband's status and where is he? If you are thinking of filing petition to get him to US, the child can be added together at the same time.

Please provide more details.

Jul 29, 2008, 03:32 AM
    My husband is living in Jamaica and is ineligible to return to the US. He lived here before and was deported.
    Immigration Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyres69
    My husband is living in Jamaica and is ineligible to return to the US. He lived here before and was deported.
    If your husband is not in US with you, you cannot petition for stepchild. What you need to do is get an experienced immigration attorney to help getting your husband back to US. His son can be added in the petition after the waiver is approved.

Jul 30, 2008, 01:10 PM
    My husband is ineligible for admission to the US, I know a waiver will not be granted.. Can I adopt his son and then file for him? If so what about that two year living together requirement? Or can I just try and apply for a visiters visa for him? This would be for him to be able to visit with me. Or Get a student visa for him? I do travel to Jamaica every 3
    Months or so.
    Immigration Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyres69
    My husband is ineligible for admission to the US, I know a waiver will not be granted.. Can I go ahead and adopt his son and then file for him? If so what about that two year living together requirement? Or can I just try and apply for a visiters visa for him? this would be for him to be able to visit with me. or Get a student visa for him? I do travel to Jamaica every 3
    months or so.

Adoption through UCIS is not that easy because the child is not an orphan.

First, you need to have sufficient proofs that you have been contacting and supporting this child emotionally, financially, etc. for at least 2 years before you can file a petition to bring him to US.

Second, by the time you file a petition, he must be under 16 years of age.

From his situation, I don't think he will be able to obtain visitor's visa to US. If you just want to see him once in a while, it would be easier if you just go to Jamaica.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

Adoption of stepchild [ 2 Answers ]

How can my soon to be husband adopt my 4 month old son?

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Complicated state tax filing between NY and NJ and missed filing from last year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am really confused and would appreciate some feedback into how I should proceed with my taxes. My background: I am a non-resident alien, Canadian citizen who is a masters student studying and residing in NJ. During 2006, I worked on campus for a few months and receieved a W2 for...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search