Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Jae Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Mar 20, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Okay... I got a call from Asset Acceptance... or was it a billl...

Anyway I had a sprint bill that I had about 6 months ago and they said they were collecting on a sprint account I -umed it was the one from six months ago. I didn't request validation. I sent them a payment.

I received a call a few days ago from another agency collecting... you guessed it... a SPRINT bill from 6 months ago.

So this morning I called Asset Acceptance and said what is this from and I was told 1998! So I walked into paying a bill from 1998 where the SOL had expired.

Is there anything I can do to A. Not have this renewed. B. Not pay this...

Oh and let me add... that I asked them to validate the debt and they told me the date is was opened and closed and the name and social.

I asked them for original signed contract etc. They said legally they don't have to provide that all they have to provide is the name, social and dates on the account. And the burden to prove it is mine isn't on them, the burden to prove it isn't mine is on me! Is that true?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 06:06 AM
    { Moved and merged ;) }
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 20, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jae
    I asked them for original signed contract etc. They said legally they dont have to provide that all they have to provide is the name, social and dates on the account. And the burden to prove it is mine isnt on them, the burden to prove it isnt mine is on me! Is that true?
    And you believed them?

To sue you for breach of contract, they have to prove a contract existed.

Mar 20, 2007, 06:30 AM
    They aren't suing me they are saying that I owe the debt and are collecting on it. So I am asking them to validate it and they said their validation consists of my name, social and dates open/closed.

So Im wondering is this really what debt validation consists of?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Wait so you had a bill from 1998 and 2006 both from sprint both unpaid? They can always continue trying to collect but no they couldn't sue you for the 1998 bill. If the agent lied and tricked you into paying the older bill then I don't think you can do anything, are they the collection agent for both bills?

Mar 20, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    wait so you had a bill from 1998 and 2006 both from sprint both unpaid? They can always continue trying to collect but no they couldnt sue you for the 1998 bill. If the agent lied and tricked you into paying the older bill then i dont think you can do anything, are they the collection agent for both bills?

No they aren't the collection agency for both bills. They didn't trick me.. I was under the assumption it was for the 2006 bill. But then I got a call from a totally different agency for the 2006 bill that's when I questioned the other and found it was from 1998- which I don't even remember! So Im asking them to validate and they are giving me name, dob, dates...

So no matter what they can collect, put it on my credit but even if I update the SOL by making a payment can they sue then?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 20, 2007, 06:39 AM
    There is no SOL on a debt, the SOL only applies to their ability to sue. They are correct that they do not have to provide a copy of the contract to dun you, only if they sue. It is possible, that by paying you started the clock on the SOL and opened the door for them to sue.

Mar 20, 2007, 06:46 AM
    MAN! MAN! MAN!

At least I know that if they do sue and I got to court at such time they then HAVE to validate the debt...

Im so MAD at myself! I would have NEVER paid a 1998 debt in 2007 that I don't even remember!

Anyway, Thanks!
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Yeah, well they didn't do anything illegal, since you made a payment on this 1998 bill they will probably be after you for more unless you paid it all. As said above, they can't sue you but they are allowed to try and collect the amount.

I don't know if it matters what validation info they are giving, I would ask for a copy of the last bill from sprint before this went on collection, but then again, if you already paid it in full I don't think they will even take the time to give this info to you, their job is done.

Mar 20, 2007, 07:25 AM
    I didn't make the payment in full it was a payment plan.. But now I have to go another 7 years because Im not paying a debt from 1998 they can't verify that's OUT of the question!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I screwed up and now I want him back [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I were together for about 8 months. It wasn't that long but I've known him for many years and have had the same mutual friends before we started dating. In the beginning he was madly in love with me, and although I cared for him a lot I didn't love him the way he loved me. I then went...

I screwed up [ 25 Answers ]

I called up girlfriend last night because we usually always talk before we go to sleep. I was drunk and for some reason I don't remember I ended up flippin out on her. I called her today and said I was sorry and asked if I could meet her at work for lunch so we could talk about it. She said that...

My ex might have really screwed me... [ 230 Answers ]

This is my first post here, and I am going through hell right now, I feel like I have no where to turn so I need some REAL advice PLEASE. I am 24 and my grlfriend (well X now) is just turned 21 TODAY. She went on a semseter at sea trip this summer for about 2 months and everything was great. I have...

I screwed up [ 4 Answers ]

I made a mistake and lied to my girlfriend. She told me she never wanted to see me or talk to me again. This girl is the only girl I have felt this way for and I cannot stop thinking about her. Right now she is now talking to me but it only about how mad she is at me and keeps asking why I did it....

View more questions Search