Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    merk73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Mower blades won't disengage... any ideas?
    I have a mid 90's MTD (Lowes label) that I bought on Craig's List. It runs fine, but just started acting strange. When I pull the handle (the one that lowers the deck) back, the blades are supposed to stop, but mine doesn't. They do slow down, but not too much. Any ideas?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 9, 2006, 05:51 PM
    The mtd's have separate levers for lower/raise and for mower disengage. I'll assume you meant the engage/disengage. I'll bet if you look at the top of the mower deck (engine off) when you move the lever you will see that the pulleys are not moving as far as they should, prpbably binding up. I would check that the entire deck top is free of yard debris to ensure correct operation.

Good luck
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Dec 12, 2006, 09:26 PM
    The mower is equipped so that when the disengaging blades lever is applied a clamp is tightened to the pulleys to stop blades.
    1-belt could be to small and not allowing enough slack
    2-brake mechanism not working

Or as stated earlier the pulley to disengage is not traveling all the way.
    Regards,
    Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman mower won't disengage [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2004 craftsman 18 hp LT1000 lawn tractor with a 42" mowing deck. For some reason the mower will not disengage when I release the handle. I can get it to work sometimes if I slap the handle out of the slot quickly or if I raise the deck all the way up and bump it a little. I have cleaned...

MTD blades will not engage on riding mower [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Lowe's MTD mower. The blades will not engage.

Honda Riding Mower - New Blades [ 5 Answers ]

I recently change the mower blades, now the mower doesn't cut grass, the blades engage and rotate... however they are not cutting or discharging anything..

Removing blades on H. Bay fan [ 1 Answers ]

We've recently moved into a house with a Hampton Bay ceiling fan (model AC-527 NN) already installed in the kitchen. I think it's a fairly new model. Since we didn't buy, we don't have the instruction manual and the "king of fan" website isn't much help as rickj mentioned. We would like to...

Blades Vs Electric Shavers! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I'm here beacsue my stupid work as made a NEW policy about shaving. You can't have any stubble because it looks "dirty" I agree but I have extra sensative skin and I normaly shave about every other day. Now this has caused me to shave everyday and its totally killing me. My skin is all bumpy...

View more questions Search