Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkcrna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2013, 12:24 PM
    Pa tree law and nuisance trees laws trees
    My neighbor has a 20 foot long tree limb hanging 30 feet up in his tree. It is over our quiet street where residence walk daily to the park situated @ the end of the lane.
    I have notified him and the tree still lurks there. Resting on a larger branch which has supported it since it broke off and fell to its current resting place during a rain storm a few weeks back.
    Is the neighbor duly notified or should I niffy the local authorities as he is not interested in the safety of the neighbors?

Thanks.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2013, 02:07 PM
    I don't know that he's not interested in the safety of the neighbors. Maybe he doesn't see it to be a danger. Maybe he doesn't have the funds to remove it.

Contact your local municipality - if it overhangs the sidewalk they can remove it.

The residents appear to think it's a problem. They would be smart to avoid it by crossing the street or doing whatever it takes to avoid walking under it.

You can always write the neighbor a letter, asking that it be removed, putting the neighbor on notice that it's a hazard.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Yes, if it is over the sidewalk or street, merely call the city and they should remove it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 07:19 AM
    If the broken limb were to fall on an unsuspecting pedestrian or passing car, the owner would probably be liable for the resulting injury &/ or damages. People who know about it, like OP, have a duty to avoid it, But I don't think that OP can make the owner do something before that happens.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2013, 11:22 AM
    I wasn't suggesting that the OP demand that it be trimmed - an explanation of the danger puts the owner on notice. Of course, as you said, the people who know the danger have a duty to avoid it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pa laws regarding trees [ 1 Answers ]

I share a property line with a neighbor that has large trees on it. The assumption is that the trees straddle the property line, and the neighbor claims to have had a survey, however I have not seen the survey or any stakes or pins. He claims that one pin is under a very large rock and that the...

Pennsylvania state laws on trees? [ 12 Answers ]

My neighbor has this large tree on his property and its large branches go well over into our property some almost touching our roof. What are my options ?

Pa laws on trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tree on the side walk of the city of reading and the tree limb fell into my backyard and the neighbors. The neighbor said we were negligent because we didn't trim the tree and now I have a letter from the city theat I have to keep the tree trimmed or will be charged for them to trim it ...

Repair for large pecan trees with holes in tree trunk base [ 0 Answers ]

Two very old pecan trees have a large hole indented in the trunk base. There ae several dead branches at the top. We've had severely cold winters and with extended freezes and extremely hot summers in north Florida in the past 2-3 years. We water the yard, but have drought conditions during the...

Landlard cut down a tree in neighbors yard and now I have small like trees coming up [ 1 Answers ]

Land lord cut down neighbors yard last summer and now I have small like trees coming up all over my yard how can I get reid of them

View more questions Search