Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tllopez317 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 06:57 AM
    Do I still pay rent to the old landlord if house is sold in tax sale?
    Received a letter two days ago saying house is going for tax lien sale on 10/4/12. Landlord will not do any repairs that are needed and won't respond to our calls. If the house is sold, do we still pay rent to the old landlord or what? If sold, how long do we have to get out. Planning on moving in March anyway because of the problems. Please help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
    Until the house is sold you pay rent to the owner. If the owner is refusing to do necessary repairs you report it to the housing department. Once you do that, you may be able to pay for the repairs out of the rent.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 13, 2012, 04:47 PM
    And your rent is due 10/1? Pay the September rent. Make arrangements to put the October rent in escrow. If the sale goes as scheduled, that month's rent might need to be apportioned between the current owner and the new owner.

Do you have a lease?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tllopez317 View Post
    ...If sold, how long do we have to get out. ...
    I read the Protecting Tenants at Forclosure Act as applying in the case of a tax lien foreclosure. If so, you have 90 days after you receive notice from the new owner, or the remaining term of your lease, whichever is greater.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2012, 05:42 PM
    Also, and could have sworn I answered this today,

But what type of tax sale, in many states, the buyer only gets a tax lien, not a tax deed. And they have to wait about a year to actually take ownership of the property.

Also if the property has a lien holder, seldom do they let it sell for taxes but they pay the taxes at the last minute. Only about 20 percent of properties advertised for tax sale actually sell at the auction but are paid or payment arranged prior to sale.

If the buyer only gets a tax lien, the owner still owns it, till the redemption period is over.

If the buyer gets a actual tax deed. They become the owner the day of the sale.

Of if It was me, I would go bid on the property sale. You may get the house for very little.
    I used to buy them all the time
    tllopez317 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
    No, we do not have a lease. Have been on a month to month situation for about a year and a half.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House I am renting was sold in a trustee sale & landlord is still trying to get rent [ 7 Answers ]

Well about 3 weeks ago we got a notice taped to our door saying that the owner was in default of his loan and that the house was going to be sold on Aug 11. ( a trustee sale) We let the owner know and he acted like he didn't know anything about it. On the 10th a man came knocking at our door...

Do I still pay rent while my landlord is doing a short sale? [ 3 Answers ]

At first she told me she was trying to do a house modification, she didn't really tell me nothing in details. She brought her agent to the house and told me that she could pay the house payments nomore so she told me I had to go, she also told me she was trying to do a shprt sale, and was going to...

Ex Landlord Withholding Rent after house sold [ 9 Answers ]

Me and my Fiancé were renting a house we knew was up for sale. We moved into it in Sept. 07. The landlord told us that the contract was up w/ the Realtor in Nov. and he would take it off the market then. However it stayed on the market. And we continued to allow people to disrupt our daily life to...

View more questions Search