Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diego909garcia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 06:06 PM
    Do I still pay rent while my landlord is doing a short sale?
    At first she told me she was trying to do a house modification, she didn't really tell me nothing in details. She brought her agent to the house and told me that she could pay the house payments nomore so she told me I had to go, she also told me she was trying to do a shprt sale, and was going to have people come in and see the house, she told me she was going to give me a COUPLE of day to try to find another place, well I'm basically asking do I still have to pay rent while she doing the short sale, I don't know what to really do.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by diego909garcia View Post
    at first she told me she was trying to do a house modification, she didnt really tell me nothing in details. she brought her agent to the house and told me that she could pay the house payments nomore so she told me i had to go, she also told me she was trying to do a shprt sale, and was gonna have people come in and see the house, she told me she was gonna give me a COUPLE of day to try to find another place, well im basicly asking do i stil have to pay rent while she doing the short sale, i dont know what to really do.
    It sounds like you need to get out right away. I'm guessing you pay rent by the month. I wouldn't pay for another month when she already told you that you only have a couple days.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 07:24 PM
    It's nice of your landlord to give you a couple of days notice. However, if you don't have a lease then by law she is required to give you a minimum of 15 to 60 days notice. The actual time depends on the laws of your state. Tell us where you are and we'll tell you how much notice she has to give you.

If you have a written lease then it must be honored by the new owner after the sale occurs.

You are responsible for paying rent for the entire notice period. If you haven't moved out by the end of the notice period then she has to file a lawsuit to evict you. If she tries to lock you out without following these laws then call the police!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 07:34 PM

They can not just move you out in a few days, they have to give you notice to move, if you have a lease, they just can't move you.
    A new owner will be obligated to any lease or rental agreement

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you are beening sued by landlord and you didn't pay rent do to field of inspection [ 3 Answers ]

Well we are beening by I'll landlord because of unpaid rent.But we are not paying rent for the living condition we are living in.

Short Sale in CA is getting messy, rent issues! [ 3 Answers ]

I signed a lease and rented a house in April 2009. In July, the landlord called and asked me to start paying less rent because she was short selling the house and wanted me to show it for her. Since I agreed and did so, she said I broke the lease... and I am now on a "month to month" a little...

Will I have to pay taxes if I receive a 1099 from my short sale? [ 2 Answers ]

I am plainning to refinance my home and my mortgage company offered a "short payoff" in which I will receive a 1099 at the end of the year. Will I be required to pay taxes on this money?

Landlord is broke, should I pay last months rent or leave the deposit? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hello all.. I'm from Cali and here is my problem. I signed a year lease Mar 07. This past Sept. the landlord tells me they are selling due to ARM loan and the mortgage now being double of what it was before. They were going through financial hardships and would not beable to refinance or...

My Landlord is foreclosing his condo. Do I still have to pay rent? [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord just notified us that he had stopped making mortgage payments on his house a couple of months ago and that he is giving it to the bank. He said we are safe to stay for two more months and after that bank might kick us out. As I understood he no longer takes any responsibility for the...

View more questions Search