Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uriostejr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Financing a 35 sf roof job with 1 lyer to take off
    Need a quote to replace a roof 35 sq with 1 layer of tear off and financing optios
    freedhardwoods Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Mar 20, 2010, 03:48 PM

I can't give you a quote, but I have a couple questions that could affect the cost depending on how you answer them.

If there is only 1 layer, why do you want to tear it off before re-roofing?

Also have you considered installing a metal roof?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2010, 04:27 PM
    Hi, uriostejr!

There's no doubt that you're not going to get a quote from this site. For one thing, there are too many variables involved here. What type of roof? Location? City ordinances and codes? etc...

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2010, 05:24 PM

You basically call 3 or 4 roofing companies, and have them provide proof of business license, and insurance including workers comp on their employees.

If one bid is way lower, I suggest you throw it out, since there should not be a large difference in quotes. Most companies have standard rates by the square .
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2010, 07:21 PM

35 sf is only a bundle of shingles.Are you sure it's not 35 sq(3500 sf)?

Anyway, if you want to price product for a tear-off(which I always suggest as you can then see if there are any problems underneath which need attention)

A roofer will need 36 square of shingles(depending on the style,they might also need separate caps)

Any valleys, they might need to be replaced.

If you want #15 felt paper it's 4sq/roll... 9 for the 35 sq,possibly more depending on valley and if you are going to use ice and water shield.

#30 paper is 2 sq/roll... 18 for the 35, and again Ice and water shield?

Nails, either hand nails,simplex for the felt/water shield.Nails for nail guns, possibly nails for repairs.

Drip-edge for the entire roofline.

Chimney to be reflashed?

New pipe boots/vent openings.

Roof cement for flashing and pipe seal.

Clean-up and disposal of the old and new scraps of roofing.

Price for removal and replacement of any sheeting which isn't sound enough to hold nails, this price might be a set number per foot.

Their labor for the work.

Steepness of the roof is a factor for most any company,low pitch isn't much of a problem,though.

I say go for whomever you think makes the best offer and use that to negotiate with any others you have quote the job.In these times, even the highball company can reduce their rates to just GET work, use this to your advantage.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2010, 09:03 PM
    A lot of variables there, KBC!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

New roof or a patch job [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We had wind damage to our roof last week. But only a few shingles were blown off. The adjuster is due out next week. Since we live in the desert our roof shingles are starting to curl on the ends. I don't know how old the roof is since we bought the house 3 yrs ago. We are the only house...

Financing-New job [ 1 Answers ]

Indicate how each of the following six different transactions that Dynamic Mattress might make would affect (I) cash and (ii) net working capital: Paying out a $2 million cash dividend. Paying $5,000 previously owed to one of its suppliers. Borrowing $1 million long-term and investing the...

Financing-New job [ 2 Answers ]

. A new computer system allows your firm to more accurately monitor inventory and anticipate future inventory shortfalls. As a result, the firm feels more able to pare down its inventory levels. What effect will the new system have on working capital and on the cash conversion cycle?

View more questions Search