Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rtabler Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Financing-New job
    Indicate how each of the following six different transactions that Dynamic Mattress might make would affect (I) cash and (ii) net working capital:

Paying out a $2 million cash dividend.
    Paying $5,000 previously owed to one of its suppliers.
    Borrowing $1 million long-term and investing the proceeds in inventory.
    Borrowing $1 million short-term and investing the proceeds in inventory.
    Selling $5 million of marketable securities for cash.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 11:28 PM
    You need to start with what accounts each of these transactions would affect. If one of the accounts is cash, then of course it affects cash. Since working capital is current assets minus current liabilities, you also need to look at whether any of the accounts involved is one of those: current asset or liability.

The affect on cash should be easy to figure out since you can just take that quite literally. (Did you get cash in, or pay it out?) The affect on working capital is actually not too difficult since it's a subtraction. But if you don't "get" how it would affect it, make up some beginning balances and then see how it would be changed.

Just as a simple example, let's say you purchased supplies for cash. That would a) increase your supplies, a current asset, and b) decrease the cash, a current asset. So first, yes it affects cash by reducing it. Also, both accounts are current assets, so you also need to look at the affect on working capital. The liabilities are not affected since neither account is a current liability. Both are current assets though. However... one current asset goes down and the other current assets goes up, in equal amounts. Meaning the balance of the current assets do not change. Therefore, working capital does not change.

Let's say instead that you purchased the supplies on account. Well now we affect a) supplies by an increase, and b) accounts payable by also increasing. So we know cash is not affected in this case. How about working capital? Supplies is a current assets and would increase. Accounts payable is a current liability and would also increase. So now you have an increase in both. It actually has no affect on working capital, but if you need to do the math to see this, then make up numbers:

Let's say current assets were $1000 and current liabilities were $700. You have a working capital of $300.

If the supplies purchased on account were $100, then current assets increases to $1100 and current liabilities (accounts payable) also increases by $100 to $800. $1100 - 800 still equals $300. No change.

Try this and see if you can figure these out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disabled needs financing [ 2 Answers ]

Any suggestions on how a disabled (3 yrs since car accident) person can find funding for web start up business (actually 11 true sites) some unique retail, a national site every city needs and is NOT on web currenty, unique money maker for the RV crowd. Bottom Line I am on disability after 25...

Finding financing [ 1 Answers ]

I too have found myself in the same situation. How and where did you end up finding financing? It's quite frustrating. I need all the help I can get. I've been told by my bank that you can't use it as collateral during the repayment.

Financing Alternative [ 1 Answers ]

When choosing a financing alternative, many companies compare the impact on earnings per share of each alternative being considered. Since the level of EBIT is not affected by the financing choice, a given level of EBIT is assumed and, for this level, profits before taxes, net income, and earnings...

View more questions Search