Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markg67 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 08:49 AM
    What can you do if your signature is forged
    My son traded a car I gave him about a month ago. Well the person he traded the car too, sold it to another and used all my sons info and forged his signature on the bill of sale.

What legal actions can my son take?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 08:55 AM
    What did your son trade for? Did he get what He wanted?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 09:12 AM
    I'm curious about how you found out what the guy your son traded it to did?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2012, 09:23 AM
    And how do you know it's a forgery?

May 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
    The person who baught the car called my son because he was trying to register it and was having problems.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 11:33 AM
    What kind of problems?

May 30, 2012, 11:40 AM
    So someone forging signatures calls the person who sold him the car? That doesn't sound right.

May 30, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Not sure the guy called my son to ask if he could meet him at the dmv. The guy also told my son he noticed the signatures were different. Maybe that's why he was having problems?

May 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
    Lets backtrack a bit. When you gave your son the car, did you sign over the title to him? Maybe it was your son who forged your signature so he could convey title to this guy.

That makes a lot more sense and fits the facts better.

May 30, 2012, 01:22 PM
    Yes I did I signed a bill of sale or should I say a gift to my son (person a), I did not get a title from the loan company so I got a release of lean statement from the loan company. My son was in the process of getting it registered but decided to traide it instead.
    My son did a straight trade for another car from (person b).
    Person B did not register the car and sold the car to person c. who was in the process of trying to register it. And that's when person c contacted my son (person a).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2012, 01:41 PM
    So there was no criminal intent, So your son I will assume helped your friend register it.

I don't see why anyone needs to do anything except help the new owner get the title properly

May 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
    Well why would person b sign my sons name instead of his own?

May 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
    So where is the forgery? And why is c contacting a and not b?

May 30, 2012, 03:29 PM
    So what you are saying if you sold me a car and I did not register it and turned around a sold it a month later and signed your name on a bill of sale that would not be a forgery?
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 03:45 PM
    I'd Tell person C to get person B to straighten their mess up... because Legally THey sold a vehicle they could not convey a clear title to because they were trying to skip out on fees.

May 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
    First, I've been asking where the forgery is. I still don't know. Who are you claiming signed your name? If your son did not properly convey title, then he might be in trouble. If b did not convey title to c properly the trouble continues.

I really wouldn't call this forgery as there seems to be plenty of screwups and mishandling of the transactions.

The bottom line is that it seems the transfer of the car was done reasonably legally. A had the right to transfer to B and B to C. They just didn't do it right by properly executing title before they did it. So I wouldn't go throwing around forgery accusations. I would make sure that tiel is properly executed so everybody is happy.

May 30, 2012, 04:39 PM
    B is the person who forged my sons name.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by markg67 View Post
    b is the person who forged my sons name.
    Exactly... Person B should be making this right with Person C absent your or your sons interaction... at the very least... who knows if they incured tickets or other fines while they had it... doing it this way makes YOU or your son on the hook as there is zero paper trail to prove they had it at any time. I would also contact the State DMV and notify them of this too... Person B is going to be in deep crap and may have to scrap the vehicle at their own cost.

May 30, 2012, 04:47 PM
    On the other hand your son gave the car to B in a swap. If he didn't give him the proper paperwork then he is also in trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My signature has been forged, what can I do? [ 4 Answers ]

What can I do if somebody forged my name on altered and changed documents

Forged signature on passport. [ 4 Answers ]

My ex or his wife forged my signature to get a passport for my son - I'm waiting on copies from the state dept. They took him out of the country and returned. Is there anyway to procute he/she/them? We both lived in different states and the passport agency was in a 3rd state so the postal...

Forged Signature [ 2 Answers ]

Just found out that my ex-wife has forged my signature to get a loan of £4,000 added onto the mortgage that is still in joint names. She is wanting my name off the mortgage. What can I do?

Forged Signature [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a friend that is married to a woman from Asia. Recently he found out that she has filed for 10 of her family members to be sponsored over by him. She has been working on this for the past 3 years. THe only way she could have done this is by foraging his signature. The only...

Ex husband forged signature [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I discovered that My ex husband about 5 years ago obtained papers from the bank to cash in a $5000 RRSP in my name. The loan officer gave him the papers to fill out, sign and return assuming they were for me. My signature was forged.. The money was released to him. Is there anyway to...

View more questions Search