Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2000GP Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Shifting an Automatic Transmission
    My buddy has a 1999 Chevy Cavalier. It is a 4 speed automatic. He likes to pretend it is a 4 speed Manual. So he throws it into 1 gear and then he does burnouts and stuff like that in it. He will then let off the gas pedal shift to 2 gear and slam on the throttle. It shifts and does fine. Well one day I had spent the night over there and he wanted to get something to eat. We went out to the car and started it up and he put it into Reverse and it shifted really hard. Now every time we drive his car the transmission shifts hard and bogs down. What is the problem? And is it Good to do that to your automatic transmission?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 09:26 AM
    The automatic transmission on that Cavailer was not made for that type of abuse, as is now evident in the problems you describe.

Some high performance auto transmissions are designed to be used and shifted manually, but the 99 Cav is not one of them.

It is not good for the transmission.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Definitely not a good thing to do. After he pays to get it fixed, he will likely change his ways.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 01:32 PM
    The problem is that your friend wrecked his tranny because he watched "Fast & Furious" too many times. There is no reason you should be "slamming the throttle" - automatic or manual. That's just abuse and no car in the world can hold up against that forever. Hopefully he'll be more careful next time around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Incorrect shifting with a 2004 Pontiac Grand AM (automatic transmission) [ 1 Answers ]

My 2004 Pontiac Grand Am has recently started shifting incorrectly and I'm trying to figure out if it's the transmission or just an electrical / sensing problem. It doesn't upshift at the proper time. The engine usually rev's up between 3000-4000 rpm's before it shifts and it's very pronounced in...

Automatic honda civic dx shifting problems [ 1 Answers ]

I don't really know anything about cars but I have an automatic honda civic dx that takes a while to shift into the next gear. Im not too sure but I think that it might need a new transmission. It also won't shift into d2. I have gotten a few suggestions such as flushing out the transmission and...

91 Honda Accord automatic transmission Shifting [ 1 Answers ]

When I drive my honda it does not down shift to a low gear, it stays in second gear, but some times it will shift into first and shift fine. The fluid level it good. What type of shifting module does this car have?

Transmission shifting problems [ 2 Answers ]

?? I have a 1994 chevy s-10 and we just replaced the filter and transmission fluid it will shift 2 times and no more what can it be?? I am so fed up with it please help me

Transmission shifting problem [ 2 Answers ]

:-/I have a 93 nissan sentra auto xsmn. Suddenly it won't shift out of the low (first) gear. Otherwise, the xsmn works fine. No strange noises and the fluid is OK. I'm wondering if a sensor would cause this? One mechanic said a xsmn replacement would be necessary! Sounds like overkill to me! ...

View more questions Search