Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wackyc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2010, 03:38 PM
    Per diem/housing allowance question
    Ok I work road construction and my employer gives us housing pay if we stay at a motel/hotel. It's only $35 a day, but better than nothing I guess. The question I have with it is that it's just added in a lump sum and taxed along with my regular wages. So I have to pay all the taxes out of of it and get taxed when I get a room. Is there any form or something I need to fill out for it, or is it supposed to be considered income and taxed as such? And there is no mention of it on my w-2 as misc untaxable, like per diem is supposed to be. Is this right or is it OK because it isn't titled or labeled as per diem on my pay stub? Thanks for any help :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2010, 08:27 AM
    If your employer treats it as income, you can deduct the cost of the room as an employee business expense, which is an itemized deduction using Schedule A and Form 2106.

You may want to mention to your boss that he can categorize the housing pay as an untaxable fringe benefit, but I doubt that he will listen.
    wackyc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 05:24 PM
    So I can take the entire room expense off, or only what is not covered by the $35 housing pay? And no he won't change how it's categorized, for some reason. Thanks for the reply
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 10, 2010, 01:09 PM
    You can deduct your actual cost for the room, be it $5 or $150 dollars.

Be sure to keep the receipts. Lodging costs are ONE cost that the IRS does check on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Dept of State M&IE Per diem allowance by majority shareholder in a CA C-corp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about the use of US Dept. of State foreign per Diem for M&I expenses for my own use while on business abroad. (Foreign per diems from the Dept. of State website) I own 90% of the stock in a California C corp, and am the only employee. (The IRS considers me a personal services...

Per Diem [ 2 Answers ]

My sister works as a TSA screener at the airport. Now they send her out to different states doing the same thing Transportation Security Administration. Gets free room and board so much money for food plus per diem. She made about 14000.00 in per diem and 38000.00 in groos wages. Now does she...

Housing Question [ 4 Answers ]

A new child support law became in effect in TN in October 2004, where child support is to be determined by shared income. I filed for divorce in May 2004 but continued to live in the house until March 2005 at which time my wife set child support on me for which I did not have a problem, but the...

View more questions Search