Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shwan73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2011, 07:14 PM
    My sons mother wants me to sign away rights
    She wants me to sign away rights so that her new husband can adopt him so they can be a family. But she is unwilling to drop the support order so I don't feel she's genuine about this. We also live a few states apart. What can I do since I can't afford a lawyer and she gets a legal aid one
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2011, 07:17 PM
    If you owe any back child support, you will still owe it,
    Once the adoption is done, any current child support will stop.

She has no real choice about that. So tell her that current payment always stops when the adoption is final.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2011, 07:17 PM
    If you agree to the adoption your support obligation ends when the adoption becomes final. She has no choice in that. However, you may still owe any arrears that existed at that time.
    shwan73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2011, 07:19 PM
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My sons father wants to sign his rights over [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 2 years old now. His father has never seen him or has wanted to try minus the one time I took him over there when he was 6 months old. I have tried to get him to be a father but he cares more about his daughter who is a few months younger then my son. He wrote me saying he is wanting to...

How to sign my parental rights over to my sons maternal grandparents? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the state of WV. I am interested in signing over my parental rights to my 13 year old son's maternal grandparents. What are the steps if both the grandparents and myself are willing parties? Does my ex-wife have to sign off on this also?

My sons sperm donor wants to sign up rights [ 8 Answers ]

My son is almost 4 and his dad has never seen him. He pays child support... I`m with someone else, and have asked my son`s sperm donor to sign over his rights... he agreed.. now what do I have to do in order for this to happen?

My step sons mother wants to relinquish her rights so I can adopt him [ 4 Answers ]

I know this question has been asked a lot, but I have kind of a different spin on it. My husband has full custody of his son(my step son) His ex wants to sign over her rights so I can adopt him. My question is this, who is responsible for hiring the attorney to do this and also is this going to be...

View more questions Search