Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tclark29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Adopting my Daughter
    My husband would like to adopt our three year old child. Her biological father is not part of her life due to legal reasons and the nature of a crime. I have been notified via email by him that he wants nothing to do with her and that he does not consider her his child. When I gave birth to her I did not have his name listed as her father, nor any other documentation. There has been no paternity test done to prove he is the father either. Is this a simple process to have my husband's name added to her birth record? Given the circumstances will I still need to go to court? Please advise!

TClark
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Unfortunately, no. For your husband to become your daughter's legal father, he will need to formally adopt her. I suggest you consult an attorney who will prepare the petition properly, getting the bio father to relinquish his rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2008, 10:37 AM
    As scott has said, you will have to get the bio father to sign over his rights, and may depending on the court prove he is the bio father first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband adopting our daughter [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 4 years but been together for 11 years we have three children between us one girl and two boy my oldest girl is not his blood child but my two boys are .we had been talking about him adopting our daughter. She has no idea that he is not her bio-father only...

Adopting my step daughter [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to adopt my step daughter? The situation is that her father is on the birth certificate but does not play a role in her life. My wife has full legal custody and a protective order agonist the father preventing him of knowing where we live. He pays no child support or has no...

Adopting my step daughter [ 2 Answers ]

How do I legally adopt my step daughter what steps do I need to take I'm caring for her

Adopting my step daughter [ 3 Answers ]

My step daughter is 18 mts old, her biological father does not see or speak to her(through his own choice). My wife and I are considering that I adopt faith(stepdaughter). However as neither of us have ever done this before it would be useful to know where to start. So if anyone knows how to start...

Adopting my step-daughter [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has been raising his daughter on his own since she was about 6 weeks old. When we started dating she was a little over 2 years old. Her birth mother has been in and out of her life since she was born and pretty much just did it because of a jealousy thing. She had weekend visitation on...

View more questions Search