Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldenrule Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 05:27 PM
    2006 Toyota Highlander Intermittent Extended Crank
    My Toyota Highlander has an extended crank every day or two. I usually have to turn the key off and back on to get it to start. Sometimes it starts and then sputters out and dies immediately. Sometimes if I tap the gas while it's cranking, it will start. Is it normal for this to happen in one out of every ten start ups? The throttle plate has been cleaned and the key sensor has been replaced, and nothing has fixed the problem. I have an auto start, which works fine and doesn't seem to be related to the problem. Could this be a fuel check valve issue? Someone also recommended getting the whole fuel system cleaned as an injector might be leaking or a valve might be gunked up. The vehicle has 27000 miles on it and has had this problem since I bought it in 2006, but it's gotten worse over time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The dealership said it only happened 3 or 4 times while they had the vehicle and they consider that normal. Nobody I know has a car that does this so often.

Thanks.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 04:56 PM

I've seen IAC's go bad on the 4 cyl models to cause this.
    4 or v6?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenrule
    ...and has had this problem since I bought it in 2006...
    I wish you would check residual fuel pressure once the key is turned off.
    That could very well tell you if the problem is fuel pressure retention or something else.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 05:47 PM

I guess we lost this one. One of those "one hit wonders".

Nov 14, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Hi, thanks for responding. I have been trying to log on for a couple days and was having computer problems. It's a V6 and is not throwing any diagnostic codes and I just saw the note about the fuel pressure, so I will check that out.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 07:22 PM

See the problem is that if you had a real gummed up throttle body, and then had it cleaned, then all the trash goes right down into the intake hole for the IAC. That should have been blasted out of there with compressed air.
    On a cold am start, that crap is causing it to stick and then sometimes it doesn't. This is why it could be so erratic.

As far as your computer since it was recently updated like mine, do what I did, uninstall your Norton and chuck it out the window.

Nov 15, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Thanks for the info, I am taking it to another shop on Monday. The main problem with my dealership is that they are saying that the extended crank is normal "every once in a while", and though they have duplicated about once in every 10 starts, they don't view it as a problem, therefore I can't get them to do anything to resolve it. Once in every 10 starts translates to every day or two for me, and I don't consider it normal. If the problem is the IAC, would it make sense that when I use my auto start, it works fine?

I really appreciate your insight on this. I like my Highlander, but this problem is stressing me out.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Highlander Movie Credits Song [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to find any information about a song that plays during the credits of the Highlander movie. It is really breezy vocals and I don't remember if there are lyrics, or if it is just vocal noise. It sounds like it might be irish?

What causes my 1998 Honda Accord intermittent starting? (DOES NOT CRANK) [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Accord with an intermittent starting problem: it does not crank. After driving home about 10 minutes, then running in the house for 5 minutes, I came back and it refused to crank. The behavior is exactly the same as if you try to start without stepping on the clutch. Lights on the...

Toyota corolla 2006, engine doesn't engage sometimes the first time [ 14 Answers ]

My 2006 toyota corolla, engine 1.4 cc, sometimes doesn't want to start the first time. Took it to the garage they are saying nothing wrong, the checks they done: no present fault codes, checked air flow meter. They had my car for just over an hour. But the engine still does not want to engage...

2007 toyota highlander [ 2 Answers ]

What is the warranty on 2007 toyota highlander

Married in dec 2006, both opt->h1 from oct 2006, tax category? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my wife were both on F1->OPT till sep 2006. Both of us started our H1B From Oct 1,2006. We got married in Dec 2006. Now according to SPT both of us are non residents for tax purposes as days spent on F1->OPT are not counted towards SPT. But if we file jointly(which we should since we...

View more questions Search