Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshine06 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 16, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Could I be pregnant?
    Hi. I am new to this site. Okay, trying to conceive as of Oct. 17, 2005. Went off the pill. First month had period 27 days, then got it again 20 days later, then got it again 26 days later, now it is January, and I was due the either 26 or 27 days. Nothing. So today is the 28th day, and I had some light pinkish discharge this AM, but my husband and I also made love last night. I don't know if this pinkish discharge is implantation bleeding and or the start of my period. I didn't have any usual signs of my period coming and my breast aren't sore one bit. I did have some dizzyness, and some insomnia, but that was it. I don't want to take a HPT for fear that it will come out negative.
    I checked webmd and they said that my fertile days based on a 28 day cycle were December 31-Jan.3rd. We made love the 31, and the 1st and so I know that I was fertile and I would have ovulated on the 3rd. I don't know. I just never thought that getting pregnant would be so complicated! I have been on the pill for 6 years, and just married for 2 years. I don't want to be an old mom. Will be 33 this week. Just had to share. Thanks for listening.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Jan 16, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Why don't you want to take an HPT? You want to find out if your pregnant right? I know you are scared for the disappointment you may face if it is negative, but what if its positive?

What you are expirencing may be a form of implantaion bleeding. I had the same thing with my first daughter. The day I was suppose to get my period it was very light which normally I have very heavy and my doctor told my I could be pregnant so before my appointment I went and bought an HPT and it was positive.

If you don't want to do it at home than go to your doctor and they could do a blood test that will be able to tell you 100% if you are pregnant, good luck!

Jan 16, 2006, 07:58 AM
    Update to: could I be pregnant
    Thank you for your comments. I am scared that is why I don't want to take the HPT. I want to wait and see. Maybe tomorrow I will take it. Timing is everything.

Jan 16, 2006, 08:16 AM
    Defenitly take it when your ready. If you do wait a day or two it may work more to your advantage because it gives your body a longer time to acquire the hormone for your body that tells you your pregnant. Good Luck

Jan 16, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Thanks again. And tomorrow I will know for sure and be more confident that the outcome will be positive, if I don't have any more spotting then what I noticed this AM. I will continue to monitor my body.

Jan 16, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Defenitly and if things still don't seem right, go to your doctor.:)

Jan 16, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Thanks! I will for sure.

Jan 17, 2006, 04:15 AM
    Update
    So, I couldn't wait any longer and I took the HPT in the afternoon after drinking 16oz of water, and sure enough it came up negative. I still don't have my period, and according to my monthly calculations, I am two days late, but I know that an average cycle for a woman could be from 21-35 days, plus or minus 5. So I was thinking of waiting until day 34 and then take the HPT test again?
    I do get slight slight headaches in the AM, and or they wake me up at night but they go right away. I have been dead tired though, and have been cleaning my house like it is going out of style. Also, my cat has now decided to follow me all the time ,and she has never done this. I know, I could be thinking too much or wanting this so bad, so I don't know. I have never been late in my life. Just disappointing that the test was negative.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2006, 04:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine06
    So, I couldn't wait any longer and I took the HPT in the afternoon after drinking 16oz of water, and sure enought it came up negitive. I still don't have my period, and according to my monthly calculations, I am two days late, but I know that an average cycle for a woman could be from 21-35 days, plus or minus 5. So I was thinking of waiting until day 34 and then take the HPT test again?
    I do get slight slight headaches in the AM, and or they wake me up at night but they go right away. I have been dead tired though, and have been cleaning my house like it is going out of style. Also, my cat has now decided to follow me all the time ,and she has never done this. I know, I could be thinking too much or wanting this so bad, so I don't know. I have never been late in my life. Just disappointing that the test was negative.
    I have been pregnant before I was so young though and backed into a corner by my ex that I had to have an abortion. Being my age now I would have done things so much differenty...

Anyway the symptoms you describe are similar to those that I had when I was pregnant. The tests don't always show up that you are first time and some don't show this at all. Two of my friends did test on several occasions and each test came up negative. A trip to the docs confirmed different.

Why don't you go and see the doc? They are able to determine these things and their tests are 100% more effctive than HPT's are.

I used 'Clear Blue' HPT and it showed I was pregnant straight away. Whereas my friend used the same HPT but it came up negative.

I would wait and tae another HPT - if that still comes up negative then get yourself down the docs to find out for sure.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 17, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Dear, even though your periods have always been on time, two days does not make much difference in the hormone level yet, and the tests that you can buy are not always 100 percent sure, as stated by my other forum friends below. A hint, if your hubby keeps his scrotum cool, by not taking very hot showers or using the sauna, he'll produce more and stronger sperm too - it takes about 72 hours each time. Also, make sure that you yourself don't get stressed out, no matter what, that's not good for you or the baby (in case your are).

Check some of the following sites, and above all, see your doctor as soon as possible, especially if there are pets in the neighborhood or you have pets yourself. You need to be tested for toxoplasmosis then, to assure you that everything will be OK.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sym...gnancy/PR00102
    Scroll down and even get answers on flying while pregnant, exercise,
    Dangers, etc.
    http://www.epigee.org/pregnancy/symptoms.html

www.askdramy.com
    The U.K. online doctor.you can post on a forum, or 'ask the Dr. Amy' with a click. The FAQ Tab on the homepage is also a good place to click and has a lot of good subject matter. P.S. Most of the articles are printable in PDF format.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ This is a new one that Myth found and it's pretty good too.

Jan 17, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Thank you for your feedback. My husband says that same thing, that I should still give it time since just two days late isn't that much. I will wait until this weekend and take another test.

Jan 18, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Well, I got the answer I didn't really want this AM. I got my monthly period. So, no, I am not pregnant. I think it is my body finally coming off the birth control pill. I know that it takes 3-5 months for it to be out of one's system, and I think that I used to get my period every 30 days, so I am hoping that this is the beginning of my body regulating itself. And I am not counting days anymore. I am just going to go with it. Too much stress isn't good for me.
    So until next month or whenever.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jan 18, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Just an fyi... drinking 16oz of water can drastically reduce the hpt's effectiveness. It will dilute the hcg hormone in the urine and will provide a false negative result. Also the mornings first sample contains the highest levels of the pregnant hormone. You might want to wait a week for a hpt. The dr sounds like your best bet in this situation.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 03:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine06
    Well, I got the answer I didn't really want this AM. I got my monthly period. So, no, I am not prego. I think it is my body finally coming off the birth control pill. I know that it takes 3-5 months for it to be out of one's system, and I think that I used to get my period every 30 days, so I am hoping that this is the beginning of my body regulating itself. And I am not counting days anymore. I am just going to go with it. Too much stress isn't good for me.
    So until next month or whenever.
    Also don't forget it is still possible to have periods whilst being pregnant I would wait a bit and do another one anyway - or even pay a visit to the Doc and get them to do one. It won't do any hrm ;)

Jan 19, 2006, 04:33 AM
    Sunshine, Im sorry that it didn't turn out the way you had hoped it would. And your right your body could be adjusting to horomone levels after coming off the patch and that is pretty normal. Sometimes it takes a few months just keep trying you never know you never know what next month may bring. Chin up and good luck,sweetie:o
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 19, 2006, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    just an fyi.... drinking 16oz of water can drastically reduce the hpt's effectiveness. It will dilute the hcg hormone in the urine and will provide a false neg result. Also the mornings first sample contains the highest levels of the preg hormone. you might want to wait a week for a hpt. the dr sounds like your best bet in this situation.
    I agree, and also stress can make you go through changes. Check the sites I included here anyway, as one has an ovulation calendar for you to use once you become 'regular'. It took me from October to January when I got off the pill to get pregnant, and I really did not check charts, just tackled my husband every day at that time - he had a grin from ear to ear. Things will happen - so just relax and enjoy being together. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

11 weeks pregnant fetus only 6 weeks? [ 8 Answers ]

I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant, had some very light spotting and Dr. did ultrasound and said fetus was only 6 weeks?? I am almost positive there was no possibility of conception on the new date so they believe the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage. I am waiting...

Am I pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancée and I have a lot of unprotected sex - stupid I know, but there you have it. We usually use the "pull out" method although when it is close to my period, he goes inside me (also very stupid, I know) I always have very very regular periods - I mean they ALWAYS start on the same day every...

View more questions Search