Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YvonneSmith2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Replace Ceiling fan/light switch
    I am trying to replace a ceiling fan/light switch. The switch I purchased is a Harbour Breeze universal switch. The wall has three wires. Two blacks and a red. The old switch has a black wire (connected to one black wire in the wall), a red wire (connected to the red wire in the wall) and a yellow wire (connected to the other black wire in the wall). The new switch has a black wire with white stripes (the instructions say connect to black wire), a blue wire and another black wire.

The instructions state: connect black wire with wite strip from control to black (AC IN L) wire in the outlet box.
    Connect solid black wire from control to black wire from fan in the outlet box.
    Connect blue wire from control to blue wire from light in outlet box.

As stated above I have two black wires and a red wire. I do not know which wires are which. Is there a way to find out?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 01:33 PM

Were the wires on the old switch maked?

Can you determine which direction the wires in the wall are coming from?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Replace Brake Light Switch in 95 Honda Civic [ 1 Answers ]

My brakes lights are staying on all the time on my 95 Honda Civic. I understand I need a new brake light switch. Where is it located, how do I replace it, and about how much does one cost?

Can a 20 amp light switch replace a 15 amp light switch? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a 20 amp light switch replace a 15 amp light switch?

Replace ceiling fan light [ 2 Answers ]

How to replace hampton ceiling fan light

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Can I replace a light switch with an outlet? [ 3 Answers ]

I am not an electrician, but I have had some luck doing smaller electrical work around my house, and I need some advice. I have a house built around 1936. Five of the rooms have central lighting. Four other rooms might have had overhead lights at some point, but if so those lights have been...

View more questions Search