Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DBP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 07:22 PM
    Aligning pipes in sink drain
    I installed a new sink drain and the pipe does not align with the existing pipe. The existing pipe is about 1/4" off center with the drain and the angle does not allow a tight fit, even though I can screw it in.

Is there some type of putty or something else that can seal the connection so I don't have a leak. Right now, whenever I try to tighten it up, I get to a certain point, and if I go further, it loosens up.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 07:39 PM

Are you saying that the trap will not swing left or right to line up with the sink tail pipe or are you saying that when swung all the way left or right it still won't line up. What type of trap do you have, a glue up, or does it have an arm going toward the wall stub out by which you can move the trap forward or backward.

Sounds like you have the nut cross threaded and it is poping loose when you really tighten it. Stop, you are only ruining the threads. You also could have a broken nut.

Can you post a picture.
    DBP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Thanks for your reply. After taking a break and starting fresh this morning, I switched the plastic nut with a metal one and also removed the 3 bolts from the bottom of the new drain that provide the counter pressure to keep everything snug. With those removed, it was then much easier to tighten the nut correctly. I reinserted those screws and after tightenng everything, I'm happy to report that there are no leaks. Thanks for your quick reply and help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing kitchen sink - easy to adjust drain pipes? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm looking to change my kitchen sink from this old one: http://www.elkaycanada.com/images/sinkswessan/JR600D73NEW.jpg To this new one: http://www.elkaycanada.com/images/sinkswessan/JR2031D71.jpg As you can see, the drains are located in very different places. Is it hard to adjust the...

Kitchen sink drain pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install the kitchen sink about 4-5 feet from the drain pipe that the plumber installed for this sink. Can I run the drain pipe that distance ? The cold and hot water feeds are the same distance away as well. Can this be done?

New sink pipes won't drain [ 3 Answers ]

My bathroom sink was leaking from the pipes underneath it so I replaced all the pipes going into the wall and also replaced the trap. The pipes don't leak anymore but for some reason the sink won't drain, it takes about an hour for a little bit of water to go down, how can I fix this?

Vanity drain offset from pipes under sink [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a space-saver vanity where our old, larger vanity used to be. I failed to notice that the existing pipe is now not lined up with the new vanity drain. It's about 4"-6" from the top of the existing trap to the bottom of the new vanity and 4" off-center. Is there such a thing as a...

Bath sink won't drain, pipes clear [ 3 Answers ]

We installed a bath sink that repaced similar one... older house, sink drains into floor not wall... has a "s" pipe, as before, but now won't drain after water runs a minute... then it gulps and a bubble comes out. Then drains very very slowly. Help!?

View more questions Search