Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cedarguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
    Light fixture wiring in a condo
    I just tried installing a light fixture in the ceiling; there was not light installed in this spot before.

The fixture wiring is straight forward; 1 black, 1 white and 1 green (ground).
    The ceiling has 2 black joined together; 2 white joined together and a red.

First, I connected the fixture black to the 2 black in the ceiling and did the same with whites and left the red alone. Turned on the breaker, the light went on but the switch didn't work.

Next, I connected the red in the ceiling to the whites; turned on the breaker and shorted.

Next, I connected the red in the ceiling to the blacks and heard a faint beeping sound; got worried and disconnected the fixture and capped the ceiling wires as before.

I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 19, 2012, 08:45 PM
    Connect white to white. Connect black of fixture to red of ceiling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light Fixture Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Is it necessary to use 'purple wire nuts' when hooking up a ceiling fixture having stranded copper wire to aluminum household wiring?

Help with wiring my new light fixture! [ 6 Answers ]

I Have a question. I need to know how to wire my new light that has two clear wires to my old one that has a white wire and a black wire?

Old light fixture and old wiring... [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a light in my kitchen with a hanging light from a friends house. The wiring from the box is the same color (very old house and wiring) but I think I know which is neutral based on which was wired to the white and black on the previous fixture. The hanging light I am putting in has a...

Hunter fan wiring model 26107 light fixture wiring sequence [ 2 Answers ]

There are 4 lights Each light has a bnlack and white wire coming from it. The light switch has a bule wire, a red wire and a black wire from the main housing. There is also a white wire coming from the main housing. The fan operates fine I cannot get the lights to go on. What is the wire sequence?

Wiring light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I have two ceiling lights that are operated by one wall switch. Wall switch-----------------light 1-----------------light 2 Light two is just fine but the wiring from light two to light 1 is confusing me. It has 4 wires. Red, white, black, ground wire. The black wire is the hot. How do...

View more questions Search