Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Landscape1972 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2014, 09:26 PM
    Property management wants suddenly a monthly fee to keep using our basement
    Hello,

We live in Jersey City since 2 months, have signed for a 1 year lease and received the below letter today:

Dear Residents:

As of October 1, 2014 [property management name, in short pmn] will be changing the policy for residents storing personal items in basements. Historically, when [pmn] took over your building(s), there was an open policy regarding tenants keeping personal items in the storage room associated with their apartment. However, it has now been determined by management that a $25/month charge will be put in place for all use of storage in the basements. Residents have until October 1 to move all of their items out of storage and sign an added addendum to their lease adding the extra fee for storage to be included each month in their monthly statement
    The lease doesn't specifically mention anything about what is included (such as the basement or the garden, even if both were included in the original ad for the apartment). Each apartment has their own little Basement room within the larger basement.

1. Can we assume that the basement usually belongs to the apartment, even if not specifically stated?
    2. Is this a legit demand to add AFTER the lease was signed?

Having said that, we have experienced a lot of neglect from the management company (which is owned by the landlord) since the humble 2 months we live in the apartment, so we kind of expect worse things from happening. Any way we can do anything about being continuously neglected or frustrated?

Thanks in advance.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2014, 05:28 AM
    You can't assume anything is included outside the four walls of your apartment if its not specificically in the lease. Specifically any storage spaces. As I see it that's an extra perk that wasn't included in writing. And because it wasn't specifically included in the lease (in writing)... they can charge it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2014, 07:01 AM
    I would address it, in a letter back to them,

We received notice of your intent to start a new fee. Since we have a signed lease, that may be added, on renewal, since the current lease can not be changed.

At least that is what I would do, since it was allowed, and being done, it is now a change.

** the issue legally, is it is not written into the lease, but since it was common and accepted practice, I think, the court may agree with you.

*** BUT... if they are willing to take it to court, since it is not part of the lease, they can not add this to your rent. But they can sue you for the storage fee's, maybe even try to sell items stored without payment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2014, 12:48 PM
    I agree with Chuck. I think this is very iffy. If each space is marked with the apt # and you got a key for the space or where permitted to put a lock on it then that space would be assumed to be included in the lease. I brought to court I think you would win.

So I would respond to their letter telling them you believe the space to be part of your art rental. Therefore, they cannot impose this fee until your lease is up for renewal. I would, however, put the extra $25 in a separate account in case they do sue and win.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if you miss unsupervised probation monthly fee ? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to ask, for state of wv is closed for the next to days, I would like to ask what happens, they don't take cards over the phone, only mail or cash I believe, and Friday is the last day.

Am I subject to a late fee if I drop my rent in the property management box? [ 13 Answers ]

I dropped my rent payment in their box at about 4pm on the 5th which is a Sunday when the office is closed. Monday, the 6th, is a holiday and I just noticed a sign on the door saying they will be closed for that as well. Am I subject to a late payment even though my grace period expires at midnight...

Can you pay taxes on inherited property on a monthly basis, instead of all at once? [ 4 Answers ]

My mom (father is deceased) has included in her will, the property at which she now resides, approx. 8 acres and a house. I currently own a home and am paying my own taxes. When my inheritance (her property) has been passed on to me, I will be responsbile for paying taxes for two properties. ...

Tax deductibilty of monthly brokerage fee [ 1 Answers ]

My brokerage firm does not charge commissions on individual transactions instead I am charged a monthly brokerage fee. Is this monthly fee tax deductable from my investment gains. If so where do I report the brokerage fee on the IRS Form 1040

Nonprofit grant management fee [ 3 Answers ]

Can a nonprofit request a "fee" for managing a grant? For example: XYZ Nonprofit Corp will be applying for a grant from ABC Foundation. ABC Foundation approached XYZ about running a program on their behalf and offered a grant to XYZ for this purpose. Can XYZ request a 10 - 15% grant management...

View more questions Search