Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pleasetellme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 01:22 PM
    Can you pay taxes on inherited property on a monthly basis, instead of all at once?
    My mom (father is deceased) has included in her will, the property at which she now resides, approx. 8 acres and a house. I currently own a home and am paying my own taxes. When my inheritance (her property) has been passed on to me, I will be responsbile for paying taxes for two properties. That will be a heavy burden for me. Can I pay the taxes on her property in installments throughout the year? Or do taxes have to be in full all at one time (that's how I pay mine)?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 01:38 PM

You're asking about the real estate taxes on the property, right? Not estate or inheritance taxes I presume.

Most municipalities expect you to pay real estate taxes either quarterly or twice a year. I suggest you call the town tax office and ask what your options are.

If the carrying costs on the inherited property are going to be a burden to you, you may want to consider selling or subdividing it. One advantage of inherited property is that your cost basis is set to the fair market value at the time of death of the decedant (your mother), so you will most likely owe little or no capital gains if you sell the property.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 12:13 AM

There is no federal inheritance tax.
    It appears that you are asking about property tax, which is collected by your city. You should contact your city office.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2010, 04:14 AM

Agreed, this is a function of the Collector of taxes for your taxing district. However, you can do this yourself with no problem. My property taxes are due 4 times a year. I keep a separate savings account where I deposit a monthly amount that is calculated to cover my tax liability. When the tax bill comes in, I just transfer what is needed to my checking account.

An advantage of this is you get the interest (however little) for your monthly deposits.
    pleasetellme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 11:49 AM

Thank you for helpful information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding basis for inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle died in 2006 and the family house was just sold in 2008. There was no estate because his part of the house was in an irrevocable trust that went to the rest of the family. How can I find the basis for members of the family who inherited various fractions of it on dates ranging from 1963...

Cost basis for inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My sister & I inherited real estate from our mother. Subsequently, she sold me her portion. I sold the property last year and am not sure what to use as the basis. Do I use the appraised value as of the date I sold or the amount I paid for her portion? For example, the property was worth...

Appraisal as tax basis on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away on Dec 7. Her house was appraised on January by a state certified appraiser at $135,000. It will sell on April 30 for $90,000. Can beneficiaries take a capital loss of $45000 plus expenses of the sale. More specifically, I guess I should ask if the basis on the house is...

Basis and Expenses on Inherited Property Sale [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and brother-in-law inherited their father's home upon his death 6 months ago. Brother-in-law wants to purchase my wife's share. Brother-in-law is also executor. How do we establish basis, FMV and report sale between siblings of inherited real estate? The plan at the moment is to get...

Basis in inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited rental real estate property from an uncle that past away 7 years ago. I just now received it because his will gave a life estate to his wife for the income from the property during her life. He owned the property as separate property. She has now passed away and I have received the...

View more questions Search