Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Dec 12, 2005, 05:01 PM
    Dog might be constipated
    My 8 month old lab had his first bull stick yesterday and ever since he has gone poop every time we take him out. Yesterday was probably 5 times. He usually goes 2 or 3 times a day. My question is what can I do as he seems to be uncomfortable. I let him out and he tried 3 times to go poop and was unsuccessful. He is rubbing his bum on the floor a lot. Could this be something else? What should we do about his food? He ate 1 cup this morning and he gets 2 cups in the evening but should I hold off on the dinner tonight? TIA
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2005, 07:38 PM
    It doesn't take much of anything strange to mess up a dog's digestion. What he managed to gnaw off may have been enough to cause a problem. If so, he will straighten up in a day or 2. It is also possible he managed to tear off a bigger chunk than he can pass easily. His body may have tried to reject it until the bowel was empty except for the obstruction. Whatever you do, don't give him a laxative unless a vet examines him and prescribes it.

The bun rubbing could be an unrelated problem, anal glands, or less likely worms. Again, no worm medicine for now unless examined by a vet.

I would give him a day or 2 and see if he straightens out. If not, call the vet. Don't get stuck with a sick dog over the weekend. Continue to offer his regular meals. Take up any uneaten food after 15 minutes and do not offer it until the next meal. Not eating is a serious symptom for most Labs. The more uncofortable he seems, the sooner to call the vet.

Dec 14, 2005, 08:05 PM
    Well our lab is still having a hard time pooping. He squats but nothing but a drop or two will come out. This morning he did a big poop and we thought he would be OK but this evening he is having trouble. Do we need to see a vet or can we give it a few days. He is acting exactly the same and doesn't seem to be in pain or anything.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2005, 06:51 AM
    I would give him a day or 2 and see if he straightens out. If not, call the vet. Don't get stuck with a sick dog over the weekend.

Dec 15, 2005, 06:03 PM
    Continued... my dog was able to poop this evening. He did have to squat twice but was able to. It looked pretty good. Still a little soft... then we played fetch for about 45 minutes where I gave him milk bone biscuits (I break them up so he doesn't get a whole one all the time). We came in and he drank water and then threw everything up. You could see his biscuits were not chewed up at all. I know he is a lab and will usually just inhale instead of chew. What should we be doing... is this a sign that he is getting better or worse? Should we feed him his dinner and if yes the whole amount or half.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2005, 06:55 PM
    Dogs are frequently off for a few days for no obvious reason. Throwing up definitely is not a sign of improvement. Offer him his whole dinner. Maybe try to keep him away from the better carpets.

A couple big putty knives
    Work well on bowel movements. Just slide one under it while holding it with
    The other. This gets it up with a minimum of pushing it down into the carpet.
    This works with even relatively soft ones, vomit, dirt from over turned house
    Plants, or anything else from solids to thick liquids. Finish up with a good
    Shot of carpet foam. Note, do not let the puppy lick up the carpet foam.
    Landrail Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Dec 16, 2005, 05:59 PM
    Give him some sunflower-seed oil, it might help.
    I suppose you are to think about a diet, may be the dog-food is not for him. And try to give him vegetables and dairy.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 08:00 PM
    DON'T GIVE HIM ANY OIL. Even a vegatable oil could act as laxative bursting an obstructed bowel.

Ok Landrail, do you have any studies to back your diet?

Milk? Since when have dogs been able to digest lactose?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I think my dog is constipated but not sure [ 1 Answers ]

Monday night my husband left for work. Tuesday afternoon my chi chi started acting weird she was staying to herself not interacting with us at all. She will not eat but she drinks water I thought that she was just missing my husband but today is Wednesday and she is still acting that way. She snaps...

Very constipated [ 3 Answers ]

So I made a doctors appointment which is not for another 2 weeks (I don't know if I can wait that long)... I have been feeling very constipated and extreemly bloated and have minor heartburn I also pee every time I have a small drink of water. Sometime the pain also travels to my lower back I just...

View more questions Search